Discuss Little bit of help please guys. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Alright guys and girls,

Need a little bit of advice/help.
As most of you probably know i do residential work. Never done site work or been employeed by builders. However, been evaluating over the past year and seriously looking to knock residential work on the head and focus on just tiling instead of complete installs etc.

Had an alert come through this morning from one of these free advertising sites. A builder looking for a tiler asap. I've just been down to have a look at the job and could be starting tomorrow morning. The job is labour only but just wanteda bit of help with the tiles they want fixing.

600x600 Polished Porcelain Granite Tiles (Nano Technology) made by white horse ceramics. I had a look on the packaging and a quick search online and nothing tells me if they require stripping and/or sealling. Anyone have any ideas or have worked with these in particular before? I've attached a couple of pictures if it helps.

2013-04-24 11.55.50.jpg 2013-04-24 11.55.57.jpg

I'm a little nervous about this job. I put that down mainly because i've always worked for joe public. But, for what i was planning and the direction i want to go with my business this could be an ideal hop into it. So really want to make sure i'm fully prepared.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Ill still carry on with the domestic. But want to focus a lot more on the tiling. At the moment i primarily do complete installs. Although i prefer to work alone i want to meet and mingle a bit more with lads as well. Can get kinda boring on your Todd.
Also a lot of the domestic work i do is small. The sort of work that was going on in the job i saw today i do a lot of it. Kitchen installations, bathrooms etc.
Im going off all over the place with this at the moment. But there are a lot of reasons really mate. But i suppose in a nut shell experience, to focus more on the trade i set out to be rather than multi-trade and to see if i can get my hands on some more glamorous fits. Trying to fill gaps in my experience side of my resume i guess.
Don't get me wrong i love turning around a complete job, designing, creating. Getting it done and being responsible for the whole thing. Want to master my trade first really.

This forum has put a lot in perspective for me over the part year and a bit. Some of lie work turned out by others on here is quite simply the dogs conkers. Im still relatively inexperienced compared to a lot as well. But id like to be able to achieve some of the work i see here on the forum. After all there's no point doing something unless im going to do it right. If im going to be a Tiler, if that's what i want to do and of course why not. I love it. Then i want to be up there with the best.

Bet you wish you never asked now! Sorry waffling on. Like i say just evaluating and trying to plan the rest of my career if i can.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Had an e-mail from the builder earlier saying his usual tiler managed to fit it in but in appreiciation to me coming out he will use me on the next project.

Never know might turn out to be the first foot in the door of something. The office is coming together nicely, the misses is just glossing the skirting boards for me ;) Be good to have a place to work from, bit of organisation. I'll post a pic up when it's all done.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Had an e-mail from the builder earlier saying his usual tiler managed to fit it in but in appreiciation to me coming out he will use me on the next project.

Never know might turn out to be the first foot in the door of something. The office is coming together nicely, the misses is just glossing the skirting boards for me ;) Be good to have a place to work from, bit of organisation. I'll post a pic up when it's all done.

I'm looking at putting a staircase in and converting my loft, the little desk I use at the moment isn't up to the job anymore!!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I've been working from a 4' dining room table and with my three boys eating me out of house and home all the time i barely get a look in to do any work. So i set out in doing a better job of converting the garage than the previous guy that lived here. We're nearly there but i cannot what to have a comfy seat and some organisation to things.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I've still got a stack load of leaflets to deliver that offer the complete job. Im not just going to knock it on the head completely. Just want to focus more on what i want to do. Reduce a bit of turnover too. If busy then by the time im a quarter of the way through the year im well on the way to the VAT Threshold.
There's never going to be a good time to have a play around with how my business works. Just feeling the need for some planning and organisation. When is a good time i guess.

On another note. The misses got the glossing done yesterday. Looks stunning this morning.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Little bit of help please guys. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views
Hi all I was hoping to get your opinions / thoughts on some work done in the kitchen by the...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB