Discuss Little help and advice please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I've not long got in from viewing a job some 30 minutes drive from me. Large house in a rural village, lovely couple.
It was a self build for them some 12 years ago and has a 40sqm entrance tiled in marble. The marble is polished, and im told is some kind of composite. The tiles are about 6-7mm thick.

When the house was being built they originally wanted two walls to divide up the space, so foundations were put in for them. Changing there mind as most people do they left them out to create a bigger and grander entrance.
The rooms/bays were concreated 100mm thick and floated/buffed or smoothed. DPC wrapped over the foundations where walls were left out.
After the concrete was left for 6 months and then tiled, continuously, the whole lot. Not too long after (within a year) the following happened to areas of the floor where any foundations or DPC was placed between rooms.
gubemame.jpg

nahe6yty.jpg

serepavy.jpg

7aqe7ege.jpg

I dug up one or two tiles to have a look. Won't go into how **** poor the install was, dot and dab blah blah. But here is what was underneath.

y8e8y5u2.jpg

9yde7ary.jpg

duhy6ygy.jpg

y8y9uqen.jpg

zejajura.jpg

The "tiler" has gone straight onto the concrete sub and not considered any expansion over the foundations. Tiling straight on to the DPC!

Potential customer has lived with this for 10 years! Some well positioned rugs have hidden the worst of it.
I spent a lot of time with them, discussing options, giving opinions. Unfortunately although they accept the poor workmanship I showed them, they are not looking to lift the floor. They have enough left over to replace the cracked ones. I've gone over a few ideas to try and rectify and prevent this occurring again. They accept that it may and there is no guarentees but are willing to give it ago and replace in the hope it may give them ahalf decent floor back.

Looking for some open and honest ideas/opinions from you guys as to how you would tackle it?
Im certain I will get the work regardless. But I want to put something in place that won't fail and please these people. I have a gut feeling that a very good job here could lead to some more high end domestic work. The husband is quite well connected. ;)

Cheers in advance

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Not sure about any height issues without removing the main fractured runs. The tiles I've removed are one by the front door and one leading into the cloakroom.
I measured from top of tile to substrate and believe it to be around 18mm. Will double check the tile thickness in the morning.

The guy originally used a 6mm trowl! Then at some point started dot and dabbing over his spread.

The customers more than accept it may fail again. But the alternative to them is carpet over it all. Which would be a real shame. Think they're willing to throw a little money at it to try and fix it before doing so.

C

Colour Republic

Are you saying that the whole floor is floating on a DPC?

Although the install is bad from what you say, if these cracks happened very soon after install and have not got worse over 10 years then it could have been early settlement of the new build and the building has now settled.

Suppose you could try some sort of cold joint. Of course you can't take responsibility for future cracks so you'd have to do it as cosmetic remedial works

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
CR the DPC is only wrapped over the unused foundations. The rest of the floor was/is concrete and the tiler has gone straight onto this.
Effectively the hallway is 3 bays of concrete. Think your right though settling and movement of the individual area has caused it.

My stumbling block is the foundation, more so the DPC. Tiles are diamond set so its not like I can take out a row. Clearly the tiles won't stick to the DPC but could I remove and bridge the area with something else I can glue down? Then maybe a joint through the tile that's the closest colour match to the marble?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
There's the next issue Alan. Tiles are diamond set and a white marble. Grout is grey and the cracks? Well they run at 45 degrees to the grout joints. So aesthetically matching the grout with a visible expansion joint will stand out big time. But i think this would be the way forward.
I've got a sample of the tile going to see how close i can get to it with an expansion joint. It'll break the grout joints but i think this is minimalist.
Same thing has happened in the kitchen too. Different tile though. Such a shame its a lovely house. Wouldn't mind the job of redoing it all but they've lived with it for far too long to try and get them to consider that.

So aesthetically matching the grout with a visible expansion joint will stand out big time. But i think this would be the way forward.
I've got a sample of the tile going to see how close i can get to it with an expansion joint. It'll break the grout joints but i think this is minimalist.

What I meant was once you have lifted and re-fixed was to silicone instead of grout along the grout lines, grey silicone and then you wouldn't have a break in the pattern, better than an expansion joint running through imho. I've done it before on jobs with different size tiles, where there wasn't a true line, albeit not as exaggerated as yours,

Worth considering.

Im just concious of the fact that the foundation is 4" in width. The tiles bridge this in different ways etc because of the pattern.

I know what your saying, your hands are tied with not being able to start afresh so with the limited options open to you it's always going to be best of a bad job, good luck mate.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Little help and advice please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB