Discuss Loft Conversion Bathroom - Thanks Folks in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I've finished my first significant tiling job (bathroom in a loft conversion) and I wanted to say thanks to everybody on here who, even though you didn't know it, helped me along the way with your advice for other posters.

• Walls were primed with Mapei Primer G (not PVA!)
  • Shower was tanked with Dunlop (bal?) tanking kit from Screwifx (bought before I saw the posts about Mapei's product).
  • Used Mapei keraquick and Mapei Ultracolour Plus (beige) grout.
  • Holes drilled for pipework using 365 drills (bloody marvellous)
  • Special thanks to peckers for the instructions for doing the toilet waste
The only problem along the way was the shading of the grout (I've read the jasmine grout thread several times). The instructions on the packet are different to those posted in the grouting forum, so I followed the newer instructions, wiping over the grout lines and striking after every couple of m followed by cleaning up 20 mins later. This resulted in quite a variation of shading. Given the feedback about mixing and water content I'd been religious about measuring and mixing as well.
Mapei tech support suggested not doing the 2 stage clean up and just wait 15+ mins to clean up and this has resulted in very even shading of the grout.

The only thing I didn't get on with was the corner tape for sealing with mastic. I used my fugi scrapers which gave a much neater finish.

The only thing left to do is to find a shower door that is less than 1810mm high without paying a fortune for a custom made job.

Thanks again - the help you've offered others has really helped me.

Cheers - Kev

Attachments

• IMG_3481.JPG
    241.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3482.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3483.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3485.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 98
D

Deleted member 1779

Holes drilled for pipework using 365 drills (bloody marvellous)

Kev thanks for the endorsement !

8173d1278163160-loft-conversion-bathroom-thanks-folks-img_3483.jpg

They look very neat holes! Glad our equipment performed as required.

kit2.jpg

Bathroom Fitters Kit £49.99

If you need other sizes or replacement cores in future contact me and we will work out a special price for you as a thanks for the testimonial.

The project looks absolutely fantastic. Nice bright neutral colours to make the most of the space. And well set out. I especially love the feature panel of the shower. I an a big fan of those for breaking up a space and defining an area. Top marks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

I was working on the principle of having a full width tile down the centre of each wall. With such a narrow wall perhaps this wasn't the right approach

Good job Kev:thumbsup:

If I had to be picky I would have centred the walls either side of the door with equal cuts, but don't let that put you off mate, it's still a nice tidy job and it's only tilers and clever cloggs that will notice that:lol:

Lovely neat pipe holes with the 365 core bits:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Loft Conversion Bathroom - Thanks Folks in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, Just had the bathroom floor tiled - well almost , the builder walked off after a...
Replies
Views
StevieBoy
S
G
Hi all, I'm new to the forum so please forgive any silly questions, I've taken on rather a big...
Replies
Views
J
Hi guys, We bought our first house in 2012 and, like most first houses, it was in a terrible...
Replies
Views
J
A
I am tiling the following floors in my house renovation and was wondering what the views are on...
Replies
Views
White Room
W

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB