UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Look what I found today in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bubblecraft

In the middle of a renovation & thought I'd start on removing the tiles on the bathroom floor to check substrate. There was one cracked tile behind the toilet so customer wants to replace the floor.
After lifting a few & noticed how they were put down, I was in knots!
5acb1b22-0d20-1365.jpg
5acb1b22-0d3a-74cd.jpg
5acb1b22-0d46-7cbc.jpg

Brown silicone. Can't beat it lol. Don't get me wrong though, took a good hour with an SDS to get them up. They were solid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Couple a' Tools

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I've actually done this before myself. My logic at the time was that If the tile can absorb the flexural pressures then it will work on a flexible substrate like timber because all the stresses are absorbed by the silicone. Kind an ultra flexible adhesive. Ive only ever done it once and only on about fourteen tiles onto tongue and groove and yes I grouted with silicone as well.

I also spread the silicone to give a more solid bed. The tiles hve been down about 15 years now.

I did this before I knew better........ But hey......... It worked :)

B

Bubblecraft

This house keeps giving its secrets. It was a repossession so all services were off. I put on & tested services at the start of the week. Today while trying to lift the kitchen floor I heard water running. Stepped into the hall to see water pouring down from the ceiling. Went into the loft to see what was up. There is a suspended floor on top of the original joists. Whoever built it had fired a nail through the new joist in to the hot water pipe. With it being fired by a gun, it had sealed the pipe with the minimum amount of water loss though staining could be seen on some ceilings. Customer had thought it was coming from the roof. With re-filling the system after being off from last year, expansion had got the better of the nail. Here's what I found.
5acb1b22-778b-3450.jpg
d5cde936-77cc-485d.jpg
d5cde936-7802-9a6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Couple a' Tools

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Look what I found today in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
    • Agree
I recently had my whole ground floor tiled as part of a larger renovation project. On moving...
Replies
Views
Q
    • Winner
    • Informative
So I was recently asked to fit some 3m x 1.5m 6mm thin porcelain in a new tile showroom. Mapei &...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
M
Hi All, I put down a small rug on a rubber(ish) waffle pad on top of our black cleft slate...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.