Discuss Looking for advice on slate floor on anhydrite screed. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

One Day

C'mon guys, how do you think the Roman baths fellows laid stone, in the incredibly hot steam houses?

It is all about using the correct gear for the purpose.... no decoupling mats 2000 years ago.

No direct bonding to poor quality substrates either. I know there's no need for uncoupling a lot of the time, but an uncommissioned heated floor of dubious quality, combined with thin, weak stone... That's getting uncoupled. And if a customer will pay for it (and generally they will if i spec' it) then why the heck not?!

I

Italy

C'mon guys, how do you think the Roman baths fellows laid stone, in the incredibly hot steam houses?

It is all about using the correct gear for the purpose.... no decoupling mats 2000 years ago.

;)

IMG_20161121_185728.jpg

S

SJPurdy

In the old floors the layer of sand (or multiple layers of building paper/polythene) which acted as a slip plane was underneath the solid 'screed' layer. We still have this today in a simple concrete floor it is the blinding layer of sand on top of the hardcore and/or the layer of insulation board. In a screeded construction in will be the insulation layer between the concrete and screed. The Romans as far as I know did not put in an extra 'plastic' decoupling layer between the solid base and the tiles (mosaics). All the Roman tiling I have seen (or can remember seeing) was mosaic tiling so there are lots of joints to distribute stresses amongst.
The point I am trying to make is that the uncoupling layer we use in tiling, between the tile and base is an extra layer and not instaed of the slip planes under/in the base.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Looking for advice on slate floor on anhydrite screed. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I am planning to lay 600mm x 600mm x 20mm slate on to an anhydrite screed. It is a very thick...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB