Discuss Looking in Tile Bins in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

Has anyone here found stuff of any use in tile bins?

Usually tile shop chuch out end of range, ex display or damaged boxes (where not all the tiles are damaged).

I've been collecting some slate tiles from the Topps bins lately. Tile sets were boxed and if one was damaged the whole box got chucked. However it seems that they may have changed their packaging to avoid chucking good tiles.

I have also got some nice travertine that is damaged on the corners. My aim was to use these for window cills or cut them down to make a boarder or smaller tile, maybe for our conservatory. It may make it economic to invest in a 2nd hand cross cut saw.

C

cornish_crofter

The skip rat strikes again..:lol:

I can see a username change coming......:lol::lol:

I absolutely hate waste. The problem is that I see a couple of sq m of tiles and think 'that'll be handy for a splashback or something', and I pick them up. The last lot got chucked today. I was going to use them as rubble for going under a concrete floor as I had got fed up with tripping over them but I didn't need them even for that.

I think I posted on here about the time when a tile shop was closing down. The owner put all his end of line outside and asked for donations to the air ambulance in return. I took what I needed and gave what I could afford. Someone else came after me apparently and hoovered up the rest. I picked up a load of 4x4 fired earth type tiles in different colours. Half of them did a kitchen slashback in one of our properties. They've been up for 5 years and still look good. IIRC they owed me about £2.50. If I had bought some at Focus or B&Q I would have paid around £20. There was about 3 square metres to do.

I've still got a load of other 4x4 tlles that will probably be used in our conversion from the same source.

I currently have a box of 6 x 6 white, only they're not 6 x 6. They are slightly bigger. IIRC I had them left over from a job I did years ago for myself. Again, they will do for a cheap splashback etc - or they may simply go underneath another concrete floor :lol:

A lot of my customers don't have much money. I have a variety of 2nd hand taps that I've salvaged from bathrooms etc that I've takein out. Some customers who can't afford to buy new taps at £20 a set will be happy for me to fit the 2nd hand ones if they get them for nothing.

C

cornish_crofter

Worked in London and some of the gear that was being thrown out old buildings, one guy I worked with had an old dentist chair out of a skip, god knows why and weighed a ton.

When I was in Leicester our friend's eldest daughter arrived home with something that she claimed to have found in a skip. They explained to her that taking things from a skip without the owner's permission was not advisable after quizzing her about where the skip was etc and strongly suggested she didn't do it again.

Shortly afterwards they went to find the skip. There were STACKS of boxes of carpet tiles there and a few other new unused materials. Suffice to say they managed to get enough carpet tiles to do a couple of rooms from this skip.

Not only that but some other friends who lived down the same road did exactly the same thing.

The skip was there because a branch of Jessops (camera shop) was being completely refurbished. One assumes that they over ordered carpet tiles or the wrong sort were sent and the supplier wouldn't take them back.

All I can say is that the contractors must have been saved the cost of a skip due to the volume of stuff that came out!

C

cornish_crofter

When I was working in London for my sister, doing a few odd jobs I had removed the old galvanised tanks from the lofts.

I cut them up and put them into the drive. When the skip arrived the driver said "Whatever you do don't leave that steel out here. It will disappear the same day"

Well, as you can imagine, I couldn't get rid of it myself and I wanted to put as little as possible in the skip, so I put the scrap in front of the skip facing the road. The next day someone stopped and asked if they could take it. We were impressed they asked to be honest. So we helped load it into their truck.

When I'm at home I collect scrap until I have about half a tonne of assorted and then take it to the scrap yard up the road, properly sorted, but I have no Idea where the scrap yards are in Richmond and there wasn't enough there to make it worth my while anyway. I certaily wasn't going to take it home with me - my sister had had a laod of plants dug up from her garden and my wife wanted some of them, so I had a 'shopping list' for those :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Looking in Tile Bins in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, this is my first post so here goes, advice needed. It was decided that I should renovate...
Replies
Views
Hi All. Would be very grateful for any help identifying the manufacturer of these tiles, so...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a 900 x 900 shower enclosure that was showing some dampness through the grout joints...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
E
Sorry for what is probably a repetitive question but my search hasn’t found what I want….. I’m...
Replies
Views
earlm
E
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
2 3 4
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Looking in Tile Bins
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.