UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Loose wire UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

Been fitting a 20 m2 room with this over the past couple of days and the kit came in 2x10 m2 rolls of cable, I would normally use heat mats but this room was such an odd shape that loose wire was the only option. I found it really difficult to gauge how far the cable would go to cover the area as there was metres and metres of it and, unlike a mat, adjustments are nigh on impossible without pulling up loads of the cable. I got there in the end but it was a bit of a chore! Does anyone use the loose wire systems regularly and can offer any tips on not getting left with too much or too little cable? I left the advised distance of 50mm between the wires but it still took quite a lot of faffing about to get it right!

I

Ian

I have found the best way is see how many metres of cable on roll then work out distance between cable runs then mark a grid on floor also after seeing an ufh firm using a glue gun now do the same so much quicker and you can pull cables really tight so they stay in straight lines

I thought of that but, the roll didn't have a total length on it! Trial and error in the end!

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
Not sure wot you used Bri...........Warm-up do a chart in the instructions that tell you the length of cable dependant on sized unit.

I tend to check the size of cable, and using a gauge stick marked at whatever spacing is needed, mark the floor and double check where the first one ends......and the next starts, but it is a faff if you get loads down and have a load of cable left or not enough.

Also, I find that the tape they supply is too bloody narrow, so I buy wider rolls of tape. (I have used double sided carpet tape before now. I also keep a glue gun in the van for UFH.

I did a job not long ago with 5 seperate ufh rolls of cable.......bloody nightmare that was, and the electrician nearly poo-ed himself when he saw all the cables he had to recess into the wall. Time for me to exit pronto.

Have fun............kind off.

M

Mike

Not sure wot you used Bri...........Warm-up do a chart in the instructions that tell you the length of cable dependant on sized unit.

I tend to check the size of cable, and using a gauge stick marked at whatever spacing is needed, mark the floor and double check where the first one ends......and the next starts, but it is a faff if you get loads down and have a load of cable left or not enough.

Also, I find that the tape they supply is too bloody narrow, so I buy wider rolls of tape. (I have used double sided carpet tape before now. I also keep a glue gun in the van for UFH.

I did a job not long ago with 5 seperate ufh rolls of cable.......bloody nightmare that was, and the electrician nearly poo-ed himself when he saw all the cables he had to recess into the wall. Time for me to exit pronto.

Have fun............kind off.
how did you manage 5 rolls, 3 thermostats? (i've read in the warmup instructions maximum 2 rolls of cables per thermostat

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
how did you manage 5 rolls, 3 thermostats? (i've read in the warmup instructions maximum 2 rolls of cables per thermostat

If I remember rightly.............he did have 3 thermo's.
I can't remember wot make these kits where?..............but I advised him to get 2 mats for the main area, but he got a bargain from tinternet???????

I nearly poo-ed MYSELF when I saw all the bloody rolls.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I used to hate loose cable. The firm I worked for when I first fitted it only ever sold and used loose cable so I've done even large floors with it. Nightmare stuff. Never found a solid method that worked every time. Even measuring and planning it for hours beforehand didn't prove to save any time. And if the room isn't square, even measuring and calculating the qty of runs and how far apart they need to be doesn't work. And stick an island in the scenario like in a kitchen and it buggers that calculating method right up no matter how good you are at maths.

It's just a pain in the butt I think mate. Thankfully these days you tend to only see loose cable sold for smaller rooms so you're not faffing around a lot.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Loose wire UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

R
Hi. I am a keen DIY enthusiast over many years. Came to this site when researching UFH. One...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, first time poster here. last week I laid loose wire UFH on top of cement insulation...
Replies
Views
Jimwilts
J
C
we had our kitchen replaced last year which included laying about 40sqm of tiles, the quality of...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
What is the maximum ufh wires that can be left over and hidden under a bath? Just on a job where...
Replies
Views
R
Hi guys! Im trying to finish UFH in my toilet, but met two problems. Obviously I cannot...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.