Discuss Lost In The Adhesive/Grout Wilderness in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jaydebruyne

I'm doing a job for a mate and re-tiling the walls in her bathroom.

They are 20x25cm white ceramic tiles.

They will be bonded to hardiebacker board, roughly 6m2.

What is the most cost effective, decent adhesive/grout to use in a shower/bath area?

Do I need to use an adhesive with a colour that matches the tile colour? And the same with grout? Does the grout also need to be waterproof/flexible like the adhesive? Does the grout need treating after application?

I've read so many posts on this stuff that I'm now lost!!!

Any help is extremely gratefully received. Budget is not on her side so ideally, a decent enough adhesive/grout that won't break the bank.

Cheers
Jay

J

jaydebruyne

I was using P9 today on a marble kitchen splash back, hadn't used it for a while but It's a good adhesive with a great pot life & CTD are doing a good deal on it just now.
I personally like Bal wall grout, easy to mix & easy to use.

I've just had a look at the CTD site, I can't see the price as not a member :/ I've just applied for a log in but takes a couple days. But thanks for the recommendation Stef, much appreciated

J

jaydebruyne

Lol ask ten tilers about adhesive and grout and you will probably get ten different answers..

Mapie
Weber
Bal
Tilemaster
Ardex
Are all good makes. I would go to a tile shop to get it and avoid the diy sheds..:thumbsup:

Haha I'm learning that it's a very subjective area!! I'm thinking of going the P9 route as this seems to be a recommendation by a few people.

Topps are stupidly expensive for adhesive.. Or they seem it. Do you know of any reasonable stockists in London?

J

jaydebruyne

I have had to amend your post above as no prices allowed in the open forums I'm afraid. If you are trade then I thoroughly recommend you set up trade accounts to benefit from better prices.

Sorry, no problem. I'll bear it in mind for future posts.

I've applied for a couple of trade accounts this week with Topps and CTD. Do you know of any other decent merchants in London?

T

TJ Smiler

Use a whisk (a decent one) in your drill, mix on a low speed setting........ Dont use a stick mate. In terms of adhesive all of the ones mentioned are good products but we all have personal favorites and this is often due to who stocks what closest to where we live, for me it's Weber on everything and that is partly because it's easy for me to get hold of and partly because i am now so used to it i know how it works best.

Just for your knowledge Topps own stuff is a good product too.

S

Stef

Use a whisk (a decent one) in your drill, mix on a low speed setting........ Dont use a stick mate. In terms of adhesive all of the ones mentioned are good products but we all have personal favorites and this is often due to who stocks what closest to where we live, for me it's Weber on everything and that is partly because it's easy for me to get hold of and partly because i am now so used to it i know how it works best.

Just for your knowledge Topps own stuff is a good product too.

TJ, what is Topps own brand adhesive & is it ok?
I've just been asked to finish off a site for a company (36 houses) & they use Topps for everything, I had to use a 2 part adhesive last week to fix quartz & flung most of it away as it was a rapid set, it came in its own bucket.

Reply to Lost In The Adhesive/Grout Wilderness in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Good day all. My daughter has asked me to tile a cooker splashback in her kitchen. They've...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone! Just want to say first of all that I am not a tiler or anything I’m just in need...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB