Discuss Maiden in distress. Sloping bathroom floor, please help! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flosmum

Hi,

I'm a new member can you please help me?

My bathroom floor is chipboard and I've been advised to use Durabase matting to stabilse the floor to prevent the tiles and grouting from cracking etc, however, I've noticed that the floor slopes from one wall towards the door on the opposite wall by approx 8mm (the tiles are also approx 8mm thick). This will eventually create a difference in height between bathroom floor and landing floor (carpeted area) at the threshold which I think I could possibly overcome by using a wooden bar at the threshold, which will be shamfered on the landing side. My other problem is my new towel warmer is on legs so the floor needs to be level.

Do I (A) use a latex based levelling compound to even out the floor first, then use Durabase matting prior to tiling? Or (B) use the Durabase matting then the levelling compound?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:hurray:

T

Tecnik2000

Hi Flossmum,you should really consider getting rid of chip floor.. In a perfect world,remove existing flooring, pack the joists, on top, using 4mm hardboard & 6mm ply etc till level, install new flooring fully screwed 25mm, prime, perfect job! No slc or huge amounts of adhesive,extra time & materials will off set the cost of a rip out. You can then check your plumbing & insulation/soundproofing, electrics, etc.existing underneath, rather than worrying about screwing through a pipe! to secure your existing floor well enough to tile over.Weigh up the costs against a good job, there will be little difference in price, but a huge difference in quality. A reciprocating saw will cut tight to the wall, even a skill saw with the correct depth cut will do the job for a perimeter cut,all be it leaving30mm of the old floor in place. Yes a tapered/eased threshold will accommodate your new levels...Good huinting

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Maiden in distress. Sloping bathroom floor, please help! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’ve a fairly basic question I thinks, hope someone can help me out with. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB