Discuss MapeGrip Plus Thoughts? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Prem Tiler

I used Mapegrip as advised by my TileGiant which I find great by far the friendliest and most helpful tile supplyer around but.....

.... I found Mapegrip didn't really grip that great! in fact it caused me a mini mere because I made the mistake of trusting it and when I returned to the 1st course I'd had a slip of over 10mm. Luckily I have a built in level in my supervision x ray eyes and spotted it b4 I started banging the rest of the 10x10's on.

But I'll warn you most guys know on here but you may not I'm very new to tiling so my feed back is a novice's.

M

Matt

I used Mapegrip as advised by my TileGiant which I find great by far the friendliest and most helpful tile supplyer around but.....

.... I found Mapegrip didn't really grip that great! in fact it caused me a mini mere because I made the mistake of trusting it and when I returned to the 1st course I'd had a slip of over 10mm. Luckily I have a built in level in my supervision x ray eyes and spotted it b4 I started banging the rest of the 10x10's on.

But I'll warn you most guys know on here but you may not I'm very new to tiling so my feed back is a novice's.

Any feedback is good feedback :)

Did you use MapeGrip Plus (White Lid), Mapegrip D1 (Red Lid) or Mapegrip D2 (Blue Lid)

The MapeGrip Plus is the on that is Mapei's equivalent to White Star. D1 is just a standard tubbed addy (I would imagine something like Green Star?) and D2 is the waterproof (Similar to Blue Star?)

I'm not 100% on BAL products so my comparisons maybe alittle off, if someone could correct me if I'm wrong, that would be great :)

Edited to add: If you are just looking for a tubbed addy to do a kitchen wall and don't need anything special (I.E White addy for stone etc) then Mapestik is a good product. The grip on it is fantastic. The mix is alittle stiff, so you will have arms like Arnie after using it

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Matt

It was the D1 I used I'd of though It was good enough for the 10x10s.

I'd definitely use it again but I'd just make sure I'll used a baton. once it had gone off my god it had gone off!! I had to take a tile off because of planning out issues and you would of thought it was carved out of the wall!!

D1 is a good product, not as much grip as the others. I recommend you give Mapestik (Burgundy Lid) ago next time. Like I said, alittle stiff, but the grab is fantastic and its showerproof unlike D1

M

Matt

hi matt ive tried all the mapie tub stuff i dont rate it at all like u say its to stiff and gritty not very easy to use.weber and bal has far superior tubbed adhesive appart from(bal blue star)which does`nt stick anything :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback :) Mapestik was re-formulated not too long ago, due to it being to stiff. It is still stiff, but not as bad as it was.

MapeGrip Plus on the other hand has more of a.....whats the word..... "fluffy" texture to it. I can't think of a better word to describe it, although I'm sure there is one :lol:

B

bugs183

I'm with Andy, Bal only make one good ready mix, thats White Star, the rest are rubbish, they don't stick and they dry a brown colour. I've used Mapei D1, and that wasn't white either. It may sound picky, but it can add hours and many swear words on a job, if you have to rake the joints. The best ready mix for day to day is Bostick (was Biscem) Showerproof (green lid), ace stuff, cheap, sticks and dries white, for showers White Star is the best, but i will try the other Mapei readymixes.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to MapeGrip Plus Thoughts? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some adhesives give info (not seemingly Mapei). I think the Mapei Standard Set Plus would suit...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
MapeGrip Plus Thoughts?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.