Discuss Mapei p9 problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JLM Tiling

Hi guys, hope everybody is doing good, just wanted to run this past you to see if anyone else has had any similar problems.
Basically I've started subbing for the local top supplier Channel Islands Ceramics, great number this, get to do lovely jobs and they pay well, plus there is a bit of status attached to working for the best in the island! Not that 'civvies' would understand!! Anyway they insist on supplying the adhesive for the jobs they give you. You buy it from them basically. They only supply Mapei gear which i was wanting to try out anyway as everyone on here seems to rate it. Previously I'd been using Ardex. Anyways the job is 300x300 vitrifies porcelain fixing onto wedi. When I first started I found that it just wasn't grabbing quick enough so had to quickly fix battens up. This kept being a problem so last night when I finished I left all the spacers in. Just got back in here today and was taking a spacer out and the tile came with it!! Let's face it, that's not ideal!! Got my scraper out and the gear just rubbed away, was still soft. Now this is at least 24 hours later. What do you guys think? Is this a big problem like a batch fault or is it just the way Mapei p9 is? Should I worry or should I just get on with it and be more careful with the spacers? As for bedding in the tile I give it some force so it's definitely got good contact and you could see the muck had been squashed down nicely. No gear at all was stuck on the back of the tile, came off clean

T

Tabby Cranks

So you back skim all your tiles? I'd personally only do it on large format floors (if not using a PTB), or if the ridges were particularly deep on the back of the tile.
I can think of a number of adhesives that I could use on a 300X300 tile to a wall, and not need to back skim.
I've used Mapei Keraflex, Ardex X77, BAL Singlepart Flex. All of them would hang a 300 X 300 with out slipping.

I think it's a bit strong to just say fixer error without considering the other facts. He could have been sold on out of date batch.

S

Stewart

So you back skim all your tiles? I'd personally only do it on large format floors (if not using a PTB), or if the ridges were particularly deep on the back of the tile.
I can think of a number of adhesives that I could use on a 300X300 tile to a wall, and not need to back skim.
I've used Mapei Keraflex, Ardex X77, BAL Singlepart Flex. All of them would hang a 300 X 300 with out slipping.

I think it's a bit strong to just say fixer error without considering the other facts. He could have been sold on out of date batch.

If you had been sold out of date addy, then if you didn't check the date while taking the batch numbers for future reference, then it would still be fixer error......

D

DHTiling

Just goes to show , it isn't about slippage it is about coverage for full tensile strength, in the OP owns words he used 8mm trowel on a largish tile with no back skim, tile came away with no coverage on the back, what is there to defend tabby.

And you say you only back skim floors, ok I rest my case on that .

We all have our own fixing methods and personally I will always backskim
To get a better coverage and suction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply to Mapei p9 problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi after some advice . Just finished the shower cubicle , used a Mapei white grout and the grout...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Mapei p9 problems
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.