Discuss Mapei p9 problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tabby Cranks

Just goes to show , it isn't about slippage it is about coverage for full tensile strength, in the OP owns words he used 8mm trowel on a largish tile with no back skim, tile came away with no coverage on the back, what is there to defend tabby.

And you say you only back skim floors, ok I rest my case on that .

We all have our own fixing methods and personally I will always backskim
To get a better coverage and suction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I said I only back skim floors, or where the tile has a deep ridge on the back. That would include walls as well. The guy hasn't said this tile has a deep ridge. If the tile has deep ridge, then I'd say an 8mm trowel is probably not man enough and he'd need to back skim, or use a deeper notch.

We have two issues with this guy, one the slippage, that could well be down to poor coverage from an inadeqaute notch. He also says it's not setting. If come Monday that still hasn't set, he has a problem with his addy. IMHO.

Shame we don't have any pictures of what he found.

I do love a debate about fixing methods. :)

J

JLM Tiling

Right the rooms pretty cold so I think it's a case of slow setting. Had to take a different tile off anyway (fixed it the previous morning, just wasn't happy with it) and it was stuck like REMOVEDto fur, broke it taking it off. I think it was just a case of set time and the coverage was very good. Shoulda taken a pic but didn't think about it at the time. Not liking this fixer error abuse!! Only joking, you've all got good points but like i said the ridges aren't deep and the coverage seemed good when I started. I woulda said anything bigger than 8 mm woulda been excessive, it's not like they weigh a huge amount either. They aren't gonna fall off the wall (I hope!) The rest of the muck has gone off fine, thinking about it now I'd say vitrified porcelain (obviously not very absorbent), waterproof material, cold house all adds up to slow set. When I said the tile was totally clean it wasn't like it was shop clean, it had traces on it. Should have taken a photo cos I can't explain it very well!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Mapei p9 problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi after some advice . Just finished the shower cubicle , used a Mapei white grout and the grout...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Mapei p9 problems
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.