Discuss MAPEI Ultracolor Plus -JASMINE in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

ross9807

Help!

I am having trouble with MAPEI Ultracolor Plus but only with jasmine.

i dont have a lot of experience but i've grouted with biege from the same company and had no problems.

But with jasmine...... i grouted an area and after it was patchy and some areas were white, infact most of it was white. So i called mapei they said that i had started too early sponging it down or maybe used too much water. -both sound about right.
(this part was actually with keracolor ff)

i thought this was cos of keracolor so i started using ultracolor plus, but this time i measeured it exactly and waited quite a while and put minimum water on to wash it off. and i got the same **** maybe not as white.

then i rang mapei again, i thought i had followed all the rules exactly (measure-mix-wait-mix etc) but the bloke told me, that its because i'm mixing it by hand. and i need to use a paddle. -i was taught that this isnt really needed. especally for a couple of m2.

I have read the other thread about a bloke who had exactly the same problem. and in the end he got it so so looking.

But were there any conclusions? is jasmine just a sensitive grout???

Now my biggest problem is how to put it right,

fuga fresca was suggested, but the bloke from mapei told me i have to all the edges of every tile. is this true?

also does anyone have any tips for using it?? and do u think it will work??

Thanks,

Ross

ps. also how do you know when to give it that first rub over? finger test? or is that for the polishing?

pps. i've just discovered this site and i can't believe how good it is.....
be prepared to have a weekly question

D

DHTiling

Washing off at the wrong stage can cause polymer shading..

You have to let the grout get to a certain stage and then you can wash off...

Mapei were right to much water and excessive over rubbing of the sponge etc will cause polymer shading and dries with a whiteness colour to it, that is the polymers being brought to the surface.

This thread will help explain>> Understanding Efflorescence and polymer/latex leaching.

R

ross9807

great link thanks!!

i've now corrected the problem with mapei fuga fresca.

but still with mapei ultra colour plus, i've had the same problem again.

this time i done everything by the rules.

-measured exactly
-mixed with paddle (slowly)
-let it lie
-mixed with paddle
-then applied
-left for 30 mins
-wiped off with minimal water and be careful not to over rub

and i still got the same ****. any ideas??

the only thing i can think of is that after i wipe it off with a sponge, i leave it for a bit, and then when the access grout appears on the tiles or when it dries a bit, i go over it again to clean it.........maybe then wiping this powdery grout off the tile into the grout lines.

what do you think?

also if you add the exact water and grout to mix it, its a really really dry mix

R

ross9807

hi

How long has the grout been left to dry before you come to this conclusion..? i've done it a few times, once over night and i saw it the next morning, but others it seems to happen after an hour or so.

How long do leave the adhesive before you grout..? again i've done it a few times, one part 5 days, one part 1 day, one part 3 days.

How deep are the grout joints..? their 2mm wide and fairly deep again it depends, i dont use a trowel but butter each tile and level the wall so in some parts there was 3mm adhesive behind the tile and in other maybe 9mm. theres no adhesive in the joints they go straight back to the wall.

thanks

D

DHTiling

hi

How long has the grout been left to dry before you come to this conclusion..? i've done it a few times, once over night and i saw it the next morning, but others it seems to happen after an hour or so.

How long do leave the adhesive before you grout..? again i've done it a few times, one part 5 days, one part 1 day, one part 3 days.

How deep are the grout joints..? their 2mm wide and fairly deep again it depends, i dont use a trowel but butter each tile and level the wall so in some parts there was 3mm adhesive behind the tile and in other maybe 9mm. theres no adhesive in the joints they go straight back to the wall.

thanks

The deeper the joint the longer it can take the new wet grout to return to true colour.

So the shallow sections will dry fully a lot quicker than the deep sections..

because the grout is hard, doesn't mean it is fully cured.. Have you returned to a job a week or so after ,to see if the grout has dried uniform in colour..?

I think you will find that it does all dry the same, just in different stages depending on grout joint depth.

Reply to MAPEI Ultracolor Plus -JASMINE in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We had an outdoor limestone patio laid at the start of June (finished circa 07/06/24)...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Hi after some advice . Just finished the shower cubicle , used a Mapei white grout and the grout...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
MAPEI Ultracolor Plus -JASMINE
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.