Discuss Mapeigum advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

John the tile

im tiling a bathroom. the bath has a shower at one end.

it will be used everyday by the family. Its not a power shower.

i want to tank the areas which will get hit by the water spray only. So from the bath edge upwards to about neck height on the one wall adjacent to the shower.

i was just gona buy a 5kg tub of this stuff from tile giant.

Would this be ok. Just give the area a coat of the stuff, leave to dry for 12 hours then another coat? Would i need some of the tape for the bath edge or will the flexi silicon be good enough?

Tanks

J

John the tile

thanks.

i was not gona bother with the actuall shower wall as I thought this would never have any direct hit from the shower. Although around the edge of the bath and about 2ft high I suppose would not be too much of an overkill...

1) just to check - primer G first. let that dry for an hour??? then first coat of solution, then let that dry for an hour then second coat and let dry over night?

2) Should I put tapes on prior to first coat of solution or primer g???

3) Also, the tape along the bath edge should it overlap onto the bath itself then cut it back the next day?

thanks

A

aph257

thanks.

i was not gona bother with the actuall shower wall as I thought this would never have any direct hit from the shower. Although around the edge of the bath and about 2ft high I suppose would not be too much of an overkill...

1) just to check - primer G first. let that dry for an hour??? then first coat of solution, then let that dry for an hour then second coat and let dry over night?

2) Should I put tapes on prior to first coat of solution or primer g???

3) Also, the tape along the bath edge should it overlap onto the bath itself then cut it back the next day?

thanks

You will have enough to cover shower wall to same height.

1. correct
2. put tape on with 1st coat.
3. overlap onto bath, after tiling cut it flush with tile face.

T

tfs

You can buy the kit from tg and this will be supplied with tape (5 mtr i think) and will also include a small tub of primer.

The way for this in my opinion would be to apply the tanking kit approx 1.5 mtr on the internal corner of the floor and then from the internal corner work out to approx 1mtr in each driection and up to about 2 mtr heigh, tape the floor to wall corner again at 1.5 mtr each way from the iternal corner and then tape up the internal corner as far as you have applied the membrane. If your bath is already in place then do around the bath with tape as you intended.

Not 100% sure but I think you get approx 5mtr square from the showerprooing kit at tg.

There are other component available as part of this range too, which include gaskets for outlets etc and internal/ external corner pieces (normal tape is more than adequate for internal corners though)

Wear goggles as I know of a guy who got it on his eye and it set rock hard on his eyelashes. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tfs

Forgot to mention, when putting the tape over bath you can cut the tape to prevent it form protruding beyiond the tiles however, be sure not to cut the actual membrane part (the grey/ blue bit) poisition it in such away that you will not need to cut this part.

I would deffo tank the wall that the shower is on as this to, is a vulnerable part of shower areas.

Firbe glass baths are not to be primed, instead thouroughly degrease the area you need to tape and then you can lightly abrade prior to applying mapegum to the bath and then bed the tape into this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Mapeigum advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
After some advice please..... We have approx. 50sq m of Dijon limestone 600 x 90 x15mm and also...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Can anyone recommend an epoxy grout to use with ceramic and porcelain tiles please...
Replies
Views
My tiled bathroom floor is new but I have moisture seemingly seeping up through the grouting in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Mapeigum advice please
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.