Discuss Mapei's translucent epoxy in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

I was with Mike at the Mapei training day on tue and saw it then, he guy taking the class did say that it was more of a cloudy grey colour rather then see through but I haven't used it myself.

I LOVE epoxy, would like to do every job with it :thumbsup:

I have a feeling I'm going that way, too, it's just the cost and not having to use it all in one go, so many of my pieces are so small, so bits of normal grout are so convenient to mix up as needed. I am nervous of separating both parts of the epoxy into equal small measures, and don't know how long they would last once open, also if it's possible to sculpt epoxy as I do with normal grout, I spend hours, literally cleaning it up and smoothing it off around the different heights of many of my mosaics, I can't just go over it with a grout float and sponge, it has to be smooth like icing round every bit of glass. Can I do that with epoxy? I have used some very different epoxy in Egypt, but can't apply any of that knowledge learnt here though, and it was used differently, too.

R

Rich

I should think so, I have had to do a little bit of sculpting with epoxy, if you are patient with it (of course you are) I think you should be able to get a better result than cementums grout. As the epoxy dries it goes from a very thick consistency, similar to a very thick grout mix and as it dries it acts and feels almost like a rubber so if you time it right I think you should be able to do all sorts with it but its like anything I guess, practice makes perfect.

Although Mapei's epoxies are by far the best to work with in my opinion, the smallest they do is a 3kg, other brands will do as little as 1kg. Might be worth having a look.

U

user123

I should think so, I have had to do a little bit of sculpting with epoxy, if you are patient with it (of course you are) I think you should be able to get a better result than cementums grout. As the epoxy dries it goes from a very thick consistency, similar to a very thick grout mix and as it dries it acts and feels almost like a rubber so if you time it right I think you should be able to do all sorts with it but its like anything I guess, practice makes perfect.

Although Mapei's epoxies are by far the best to work with in my opinion, the smallest they do is a 3kg, other brands will do as little as 1kg. Might be worth having a look.

Brilliant, the timing matters, too, with the cementious grouts, so that doesn't phase me, actually I quite like that, it really focuses the attention :) and I'm lucky to be very dexterous, so can sculpt away quite happily. I ordered some Litochrom starlight the other day, special offer and good reports, but my present work isn't ready for it yet. Whatever I get I have to get it online anyhow - the local supplier for Mapei tried to charge me £48 (Trade!) for the Kerapoxy, forget that!

Thanks Rich, very useful to know :thumbsup:

T

tfs

Brilliant, the timing matters, too, with the cementious grouts, so that doesn't phase me, actually I quite like that, it really focuses the attention :) and I'm lucky to be very dexterous, so can sculpt away quite happily. I ordered some Litochrom starlight the other day, special offer and good reports, but my present work isn't ready for it yet. Whatever I get I have to get it online anyhow - the local supplier for Mapei tried to charge me £48 (Trade!) for the Kerapoxy, forget that!

Thanks Rich, very useful to know :thumbsup:

pop in to your local CTD they have an offer on a new type of adhesive/ gout hybrid right now and its at a fair price.

They describe it as having the chemical resitance etc of epoxy with the application properties of a cement based grout.

Also, I dont know what Mapei would say about this but, the kerapoxy comes in two tubs one large for the resin and a smaller one for the hardner (you may already know this) but I think it may last enough time for you to use over a few projects. You would probs need to devise a good way to measure out portions of both components.

Reply to Mapei's translucent epoxy in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new here and I need some desperate help. Recently got my dad to tile my kitchen...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Mapei's translucent epoxy
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.