Discuss Marble Bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

simmy08

Hi, Im preparing to tile a 35m2 Bathroom in Marble.Blanco Artemis Pulido prot?????? 30x 30

Anyway the customers are putting in a freestanding Bath worth 5K for porcelanosa. It is 138kg + 2people+ water= heavy (Removed) bath.

Im still trying to work out how im going to get it up the stairs and how many men i will need

I havnt worked with Marble too much but i know it is very soft.
The bathroom is 1st floor. It is joists and chipboard
The builders have installed 9mm ply on the floor but i know it is minimum 15mm.
I will be calling porcelanosa tomorrow to see what their advise is.
My question is....??? what Kind of floor build up/materials/Prep would anyone else be doing to ensure that these tiles to dont crack at grout lines etc.
Has anyone installed an item as heavy in similar scenario.
I understand that this will be quite a weight at 1 end of this bathroom

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BWTiling

Me personally would have to agree with nybor62 and take floor up and strengthen joists first!! No matter how much you board floor you'll still have a degree of flex / movement if there's no support between each of the joists, and you need to get rid of that Chipboard anyway! Don't know why people bother with that stuff!?? Then I'd go with 24mm Ply if no concerns over height, then a quality backerboard and good flexi addy etc. They may still have problems with Tiles as they are soft in composition anyway!

I reckon bath weight when filled with Water is going to reach somewhere in the region of 350Kg without anyone in it? That's a lot of weight fella plus, say an average of 70 - 80Kg per person!!!!

T

Time's Ran Out

I'd be surprised if the bath is only 138kg.
We undertook a bathroom refurbishment using a Porcelanosa freestanding bath and it took 6 people to get it up to a room and that had 12x3 inch joists.
I'd check what your involvement/responsibility is with this job because the weight of the tiles + suite etc and the 'builders' preparation all leads back to you accepting the suitability of workmanship!
There are questions to be asked on the forum and answers provided - however as you are inexperienced in the handling of Marble, unsure as to the preparation required, my advice would be - think long and hard before you commit to this job.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Marble Bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB