UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Marine Ply in Shower area in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rds03

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and hoping for some advice on the above topic.
Apologies if this has already been discussed.

I'm in the process of renovating my bathroom. It's very small,
had a bath removed and had a quadrant shower tray fitted.

The 2 walls forming the corner for the enclosure were a plasterboard
wall, with a skim of plaster over the top, and a brick cavity wall covered with plaster.

Whilst taking down the old tiles (2 layers) from these walls, the plasterboard wall
was in pieces as the tiles were tricky to get off and the old plaster came off of the
brick wall.

I'm on a budget and so thought about doing a lot of the work myself except plumbing.

The plumber I used recommended Marine ply or Aquapanel to replace the walls where the
enclosure will sit. I went with the 18mm thick Marine ply option and it has since been fitted floor
to ceiling on these walls (it was drilled straight into the brickwork).

I have since been wondering whether I still need further waterproofing on the Marine ply?

It's solid and in place now (and cost a bit to do), but having doubts about it's reliability.

With tanking or waterproof matting over the top of the marine ply will this be sufficient?

The ply sits on the shower tray, the only join in the m.ply is where it meets in the corner.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Rob.

P

PHG

Hi.

Aqua type panels are always the best option for re-boarding walls etc in wetrooms, ply is always subsceptable to expansion from thermal and humidity changes within the wetroom.

My advice would be to use Dural wp membrane to accomodate cracking issues and to waterproof the boards and use the dural sealing tape for all internal corners and joints etc , as this is flexible and will accommodate substrate shrinkage and expansion.

Timber wall substrates can be very problematic in areas of high humidity like wetrooms, so protection from wetting is highly advised.

We supply membranes suitable for these projects , along with external/internal corners and flexible jointing tapes.

please call to discuss your requirements if you are not sure what is required.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Marine Ply in Shower area in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.