Discuss Marking a staff in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I'm writing a paper on a theory about how the Roman mosaicists worked centering on using a staff to measure out and need to ask a question of you peeps.

If you know what I'm talking about when I say using/marking a staff can you please reply here about how you do it, and why? It doesn't need to be much, even a couple of sentences would be great. I'm just trying to get some idea if it is used now.

The paper would be completed in about 4 weeks time and I would be listing anyone's contribution. In the first instance I would publish on academia.edu but would then see if any of the journals pick it up.

Thanks

C

Concrete guy

I used to set out flooring using an 8ft baton.

I'd lay a row of the chosen tiles down with spacers, set the baton alongside and mark the grouts joints on the batten.

You could quickly use that to centre a room and then use the baton to check where the full tiles fell to work out setting out. It's how I was taught.

Of course, it's quicker and easier to centre by using a tape and pinging a chalk line down, then I'd make the batten and set out with it.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
This is how i was taught. Using a baton of 2"x1" mark out from one end tiles including your spacing.
Then using the baton from the centre of the floor or wall you can mark out where your joints will be. Once cut size is established, mark out your first course of full tiles. Draw a level line and begin fixing your first tiles doing cuts as you go.

I now use lasers and baton stands.

T

TJ Smiler

In an ideal world you would get a full tile from the centre out to the corners with no cuts around the edges, this rarely happens though.... So i tend to centre the room i'm in and if cuts are needed i like to (as best as possible) keep all the cuts roughly to a similar size, from the boarder cuts to the cuts i may have going through doorways i like them to be similar in size. Takes a lot of fiddling with the setting out process but end result is worth it. If i find it's impossible to get all the cuts similar then i will at least try to get the room to look symmetrical around all four walls and the cuts that will be seen the most try and work it so the cut is of a decent size.

T

TJ Smiler

Also, sometimes if a floor is big enough and there are plenty of rows going inn from one side to the other, in order to make my cut on one side of the room the same as the opposite side i my need to gain 10, 20 or 30mm etc across the floor to make this happen so the cuts to the side are the same. I will open up the grout lines by half a mm or 1mm through the centre rows so that by the time i am at the other side i have gained said amount of mm to make it work.

When you stand back and look accross a whole floor the eye cannot see any difference from 2mm joins to 2 and hallf mm joins. But like i say the floor has to big enough to acheive this without the joint size difference being noticed.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Marking a staff in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
I think this is okay to do. I can't see this upsetting a relationship you have. But by all means...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, I normally post over in diynot for general DIY but wrt tiling over timber I need some...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
T
How many bad tiles do people find? Do you often need to return large quantities of tiles? I...
Replies
Views
One Day
O
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB