UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Marmox Backerboards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Threeskins

Hi,

I'm not sure this is the right area for this post but hopefully someone can give me good advice. I have been recommended to use a Marmox type waterproof cementatious backer board to build up to the required height (20mm) of my concrete floor in the living room. My final floor surface is going to be a good quality laminate. My questions is, can I use laminate underlay and laminate directly on top of the Marmox style backer board?

Thanks

B

bert&ernie

Hi,

I'm not sure this is the right area for this post but hopefully someone can give me good advice. I have been recommended to use a Marmox type waterproof cementatious backer board to build up to the required height (20mm) of my concrete floor in the living room. My final floor surface is going to be a good quality laminate. My questions is, can I use laminate underlay and laminate directly on top of the Marmox style backer board?

Thanks

Hi Three,

Yes you can use that type of product to build up height and yes you can use the underlay and laminate directly on top of the backer boards. I would make sure that you either use a membrane with the underlay or ensure that the backer boards and sealed together with jointing tape.
Although the boards are waterproof this will stop any moisture coming through the joints and damaging the laminate.

Can i suggest you contact Uheat www.uheat.co.uk as they have some great prices on backer boards. have a look at Underfloor Heating | Floor Insulation | Uheat

T

Threeskins

Thanks guys for the replies, what I didnt say was that my subfloor was previosly comprised of a hardwood tongue and groove baton stuck down with a bitumen type substance onto concrete. I then had a 9mm laminate (Quickstep) with appropriate DPM underlay on top of this. Following a radiator leak (which I though had dried and wouldnt do to much damage) the hardwood subfloor lifted and pushed everything up. Also in areas not near the leak the top of the hardwood sub floor was covered in mould. I have been told that laying laminate on top of real wood on concrete is not a good idea because if there is any moisture present all (leak or otherwise) the wood cant breath and sweats away. (there are no airbricks)

The solid wood batons were 20mm thick with laminate and underlay on top, hence the reason why I have to make up the 20mm depth. I am slightly worried about the natural humidity level hence the reason for using the cementatious backer boards and not a wood product to build the height. The only problem I have is that I have 41m squared to build and its damn expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wetdec

Thanks guys for the replies, what I didnt say was that my subfloor was previosly comprised of a hardwood tongue and groove baton stuck down with a bitumen type substance onto concrete. I then had a 9mm laminate (Quickstep) with appropriate DPM underlay on top of this. Following a radiator leak (which I though had dried and wouldnt do to much damage) the hardwood subfloor lifted and pushed everything up. Because you created a vapour trap, hence the blowing of the hardwood floor Also in areas not near the leak the top of the hardwood sub floor was covered in mould. I have been told that laying laminate on top of real wood on concrete is not a good idea because if there is any moisture present all (leak or otherwise) the wood cant breath and sweats away. But laminate is an overboard system designed for concrete and wood floors with a vapour check in place (there are no airbricks) No airbricks required

The solid wood batons were 20mm thick with laminate and underlay on top, hence the reason why I have to make up the 20mm depth. I am slightly worried about the natural humidity level hence the reason for using the cementatious backer boards and not a wood product to build the height. Your not getting it the vapour barrier goes directly over the concrete under your ply or sterling board, this isolates the wood from the concrete, the laminate then sits floating as always over the top. The only problem I have is that I have 41m squared to build and its damn expensive.

Your 1 and only problem all along is your barrier was in the wrong place......:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Marmox Backerboards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
OK hear me out. Kitchen floor. Pro tiler. 15mm clearance from top of dishwasher to underside of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.