Discuss marmox boards on chipboard floor - fixing in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Q

Qwerty

marmox boards provide insulation so makes the ufh more efficient and saves on electric bill, so 10mm will save more than 6mm.
marmox doesn't really add any structural strength to the floor, so no real difference there between 6mm and 10mm.

don't need to use adhesive to stick the marmox down if the existing chipboard floor is flat - just screws and washers as per marmox guidance.

No!!! DO use adhesive, just as Marmox instruct you to do, otherwise the installation could easily fail.

9e3yjuvu.jpg

Just finished a floor tiling job last week where a previous tilers installation of insulation board, UFH and porcelain tiles all failed due to it not being fixed with adhesive!

Y

ythan

No, sorry, surely: the photos from marmox guidance video show 3 different types of substrates : one is fixing to a block wall: one is to a concrete floor: and the last one is to a wooden floor.

For a good flat wooden floor it is far easier and sensible to use just screws + washers at the recommended spacings, and then you not need to spend all that time and cost spreading a bed of adhesive.

On the blockwork wall there are only 5 red nails/screws, washers + 5 adhesive dabs per marmox board. The dabs of adhesive are there to support the board to allow for the fixing of the red nails (or screws).

On the concrete floor there is only adhesive and...... no screws+washers, for obvious reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

One Day

The purpose of the adhesive under boards on a wooden floor is to fill any voids which are often there but invisible - i,e, dips and bulges in the boards.
If (and only if) the floor is mirror flat - you could just screw the boards using washers.
Can't quite remember which manufacturer says this is ok - may be Warmup?

For the cost of a bag of sticky though, it can't hurt. 4mm trowel too.
Just be mindful that introducing water to chipboard and then trapping it under waterproof boards could in theory upset the chipboard - leading to more problems!
Rapidset if I were you.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to marmox boards on chipboard floor - fixing in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB