UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Marmox & plasterboard mix on wetroom walls? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

ollymonkeynuts

Hello. Ive a quick query about my wetroom, Ive done lots of searching on this site but need a definate answer for my particular situation.

Im going to Marmox/Wedi the back and side shower walls, they'll be tanked and waterproofed with a BAl WP1 onto a Tuff-form tray. For the rest of the bathroom walls can I use MR plasterboard and then tile straight onto it? It seems a bit O.T.T and expensive to Marmox all the bathroom.

I'll be using 40x40cm travertine tiles.

Thanks in advance.:hurray:

O

ollymonkeynuts

Oh I see. My bathroom is 1.8mx3.3m and is currently minus 1.5 of the walls and has no ceiling apart from the new joists. Theres plenty of room...I could even swing my cat!

So...is the MR plasterboard OK to use? Also is it generally best to dot & dab then fix the Marmox to the brick wall or install 300mm centre vertical batterns then screw to the batterns?

Both methods seem appropriate, Im just wondering if one method is better than the other. I have 11inch cavity but I'd have thought it would be a good ides to use the battern method so the boards are sitting off the brick. Better insulation/heat retention? Opinions pls.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

davemul

You can dot and dab marmox to brick walls, but you must use their wall fixing dowels in the dot and dabbed sections of the board when it goes up.

Marmox isnt all that pricey mate and really easy to work with. I did my whole room in it. Apart from the ceiling!

But yes, you can use MR plasterboard if you want.. just double check the weight of the tiles and the adhesive you will be putting on isnt over the guidelines

oh and get a thread up showing the progress

any q' just ask... been there done it!

O

ollymonkeynuts

Just looked at the Marmox site... broken link removed

I have one wall which is 300centre stud which I'll use the washers and screws (maybe marmox washers & some stainless screws or those aquapanel ceramic ones if theyre long enough)

The other wall I will dot & dab and use the Marmox dowels as the walls are un-even rather than doing the 'solid wall screw fix' method.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Marmox & plasterboard mix on wetroom walls? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hiya all, I'm a DIY gal on first bathroom. Wondered if you could check out my plans and let me...
Replies
Views
Now back to bare house brick and they not level, tiling a bathroom, shower over bath, was...
Replies
Views
Trying to Get bathroom re tiled, had conflicting advice from a few tilers, I’m a total novice...
Replies
Views
Hi Tilers, this is my first question on this forum and I've got a few different areas to cover...
Replies
Views
I am hoping some of the pro's out there can give me some advice what i should do next. Tile...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.