Discuss Marmox plastic washers. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

judge

TF
Arms
I was gonna glue n screw 6 mm insulation board ontop of the chipboard,tape the joints,lay the cable,then self level before tiling.I was just a little concerned about the slight height issue as the washers dont sit totally flush on the insulationboard when screwed down.(probablly worrying about nothing but wanted to check first):smilewinkgrin:

Ali-I allways overboard with Hardi but was only going with insulation board for the the thermal properties.

Q

Qwerty

I use the metal ones too, no height issues then. Arent the plastic ones meant for hammer fixing into solid walls/floors?

No mate. There are plastic washers that are identical to the metal ones, only difference is you can't screw down as much as metal ones as the screw just pulls through. I use them a lot still though. They do make plastic "spankers" for solid fixing.
Judge, by the time the screw is in nicely it will only be 1-2mm higher maximum

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Ali-I allways overboard with Hardi but was only going with insulation board for the the thermal properties.

I don't think there is much difference between the two mate 0.00something.
Over a timber floor though I would probably opt for hardie. Yes marmox is easier to handle, cut and fit. I've just done a bathroom with UFH, chipboard floor and went over with HBB and I'm starting another tomorrow where ill use the same.

Thats just how I roll! But if its marmox you intend to use and its loose wire youre fitting im sure you could work the wire round the washers. A little less depth on the SLC too.

T

The D

I don't think there is much difference between the two mate 0.00something.
Over a timber floor though I would probably opt for hardie. Yes marmox is easier to handle, cut and fit. I've just done a bathroom with UFH, chipboard floor and went over with HBB and I'm starting another tomorrow where ill use the same.

Thats just how I roll! But if its marmox you intend to use and its loose wire youre fitting im sure you could work the wire round the washers. A little less depth on the SLC too.
So Marmox is not a thermal board ??

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Never said marmox wasnt an insulation board deano.

Impish compare like for like sizing. 6mm marmox to 6mm hbb, not hbb 500. Yes there is a difference. But this is going over a timber floor, chipboard infact. Not concrete. Would consider structural strength rather than insulation values.

Would you choose 6mm marmox over 6mm hbb in this scenario then?

O

One Day

I was comparing 10mm marmox to 500HB - pretty fair no?
I'd never opt for 6mm HB or marmox to add strength.
In my experience 10mm insulation boards properly installed do add strength. I think if I ever face a floor which needs strengthening I would aim to strengthen it before overlaying anything prior to UFH.
I've used 6mm wedi boards on floors but only when really pushed for height - never to add strength and 6mm adds little insulation compared to 10mm anyways.

Does adding 6mm HB instead of marmox etc add more strength in your experience Ali?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Judge was concerned over height issues so presumed he was looking at 6mm.

You seem to he missing my point or maybe im not explaining.

On the presumption of 6mm to bare height issues in mind, I would oot for hbb. No not to add strength, but you get more flex in marmox than hbb. Of course any deflection would be sorted beforehand, but you can't always guarantee it to be defection free entirely. After all it is timber. So on the basis that structually speaking hbb is better I would chose it and do.
My next question would be does a timber floor really require "insulating" timber being a resonable insulator itself whats important is having a barrier so the UFH doesnt warm the substrate and reducing heat transfer or lose. HBB does this, might not be as beneficial as an insulation board, but on a timber substrate I think its other properties more than makes up for it.

Just my opinion.

T

The D

Never said marmox wasnt an insulation board deano.

Impish compare like for like sizing. 6mm marmox to 6mm hbb, not hbb 500. Yes there is a difference. But this is going over a timber floor, chipboard infact. Not concrete. Would consider structural strength rather than insulation values.

Would you choose 6mm marmox over 6mm hbb in this scenario then?
hbb offers no strength and no insulation whereas extruded foam boards ofer both so in this instance I would go with marmox

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Marmox plastic washers. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi could I use 6mm Marmox Boards on an upstairs chipboard wetroom floor that will then have u/f...
Replies
Views
Z
Hi Everyone DIying my first bathroom with a level access marmox shower tray and boards for...
Replies
Views
C
Probably been covered but want to fix 6mm marmox boards to plywood floor and I believe both...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
D
Hi everyone, new here (I will introduce myself, but really need an answer so I can order the...
Replies
Views
D
Evening all,ive not worked with marmox before and was wandering what thickness it needs to be...
Replies
Views
Bubblecraft
B

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB