Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Mitre/overlap at edge of recess in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

niall

Tiling this weekend in the bathroom, first timer, expect it to be slow but will take the time to get it right.
I'm tiling a window recess and am wondering how to handle the edge where the recess tiles meet the face tiles. I don't want to use plastic trim, so instead I'm going to try to mitre the tiles, but if I have problems getting an accurate cut I will overlap them instead. My question is, if overlapping the tiles - does the face tile overlap the edge of the reveal tile, or vice versa? I presume the face tile overlaps the reveal for a cleaner look, otherwise the edge of the reveal tiles would form a border around the edge of the recess.
Thanks in advance for any comments.

G

Gazzer

I guess if your window worked full tile all the way around then it may look ok to have the face tile over lap the reveal but how many time would that happen.
In general though you would centre the window and have cuts all around. It depends what tile you were using, if it were a ceramic with either brown/red back then the edge would stand out a mile. If it were a stone type then it would look natural.
If you think back years ago ( yeah ok i am old) but tiles wer given RE ( round edges or bull nose) then they changed to what they called Border tiles. Which were basically a normal tile with 2 edges glazed. in these cases the reveal would always overlap the face tile......History lesson over :grin:

Reply to Mitre/overlap at edge of recess in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

S
Hi all, really hope someone can help me! I'm having my bathroom done soon. However, I really...
Replies
Views
Reli London
R
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
G
Hi, We had a partial wet room installed in our first floor bathroom over 3 years ago by a...
Replies
Views
Gemma
G
U
Hi all, I'm re-tiling a shower cubicle at the moment. I've finished the centre tiles on all...
Replies
Views
WiseyMouki
W
T
Hi all, Would be very grateful for advise on this: Fitting 600 x 300 ceramiic wall tiles 10...
Replies
Views
The Nett
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Mitre/overlap at edge of recess
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.