Discuss Mixing grout with SBR in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

I have sealed the slate on previous work and it proofed to be watertight for a year or so. Let me explain the situation I'm in.
Few years ago this terrace was tiled with asbestos tiles sicked on layer of bitumen. Under the bitumen was few layers of felt and concrete deck. All of this was stripped down to bare concrete and new deck installed. New deck was covered with GRP - some fibreglass and resin. Slate tiles went on top. Now we've found out that there is a problem with GRP deck as it's leaking. Now I thought of two options:
1. find watertight grout and re-grout the whole terrace
2. lift the tiles, put another layer of 6mm plywood directly on existing deck and apply Mapelastic Aquadefense Liquid Rubber Waterproofer then re-tile.

Option 2 seems to be the best way but a bit pricey too.
Do you have any suggestions?

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
Grout protectors or impregnator across the stone or grout , as TS said will not protect for to long, breathable, water may still poss bleed as maintenance products not tanking, ardex do a hybrid epoxy which we tested on very anti slip tiles came of a treat, not sure for naturals, this would give you chem and water resistance but un sure on application on slate , could you do a test board with spare slates to test for release and finish.Would ring them also to discuss suitabilty with slate and movement . Perhaps the guys could comment on here on hybrid product. Can't recall name

D

DP Tiling

A cement based backer board and a proper tanking agent is the only answer here, the mapeilastic aqua defense is great stuff, be sure to use the mapeband around the internals too.

Slate will need to sealed with an impregnator regardless, however, due to acidity/alkalinity of rain water it needs quite a bit of maintenance in that it wears a lot quicker.

Regarding the adhesive and grout, I personally would go for Keraquick and latex plus it is very well suited to external use and it's low water content and rapid hydration makes it ideal for porous stone also it is the same manufacturer as the tanking agent and eliminates risk of chemical incompatibility. Probably wouldn't go to an epoxy grout as I can see it being difficult to fully remove haze from slates textured surface.

U

Unregistered

Don't mix sbr with your grout because it will be a nightmare to clean off, I tried it just the once never again...that'll teach me to try and be clever.
Thanks for that advise.

DP - I know that tanking would be ideal but now when I compare the costs of re-grouting (2 tubs of Ardex EG8 - approx £70 + good grout cutter for multi tool £40) and 2 days of work vs tanking and re-tiling will cost me approx £500 that's if I don't brake any tiles + I estimate 7-8 days of work. Re-grouting may be worth trying but only if there is a good chance of success.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
SBR is used a s a water proofer in external render and internal DPM dave.
But your right, it won't make it waterproof.
Now the whole story has come out, RIP it up, re do it, waterproof the substrate and re tile, regrouting is not gonna waterproof it .

more of a water repeller than proofer. :)..

O

Old Mod

40428471f66c505ccdf668bdefd17c09.jpg

C

Concrete guy

EPDM is not an option. It's a terrace that is being used as a little garden in summer. I know EPDM is a good solution but in my opinion for roofs that are not being used.

Couldn't an EPDM be fitted as a tanking system and then a surface finish applied?

It would guarantee a leak free roof.

We got a kit from these people for our garden office http://www.rubber4roofs.co.uk/

All it is is a tanking membrane, just substantially thicker than a regular tiling tanking system.

Reply to Mixing grout with SBR in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Hi any info on get rid of epoxy grout haze on natural stone would be much appreciated. I’ve used...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB