Discuss Mixing ratios for one tile in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

RDTiling

Hi all.

i hope this doesn't come across as too silly a question, but here goes. (This is only my fourth tiling job, so go easy on me!)

i've been asked to replace one tile on a bathroom floor that has cracked size is 30 x 30 (this is the first time I've been asked to replace a single tile). I have pointed out that this is not a permanent fix and it may happen again, however they don't want to replace the whole floor at the moment, so this is just to make it look better.

Does anyone know roughly the volume of water required for this one tile. I've got about a quarter bag of weber rapid set SPF left from a previous job, which I hope should be enough?! I usually end up mixing way more than I need, and trying to avoid buying a fresh bag.

Thanks all.

Last edited by a moderator:

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
I seem to over estimate the water needed - was tiling a splash back the other week. The area to tile was only about 1.6m2 and I had enough rapid set mixed to do that area about 4 times over! I guess I'll get better at judging this with the more jobs I do.

I've been tiling for about 12 years and I still mix up way too much grout nearly every time!!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I seem to over estimate the water needed - was tiling a splash back the other week. The area to tile was only about 1.6m2 and I had enough rapid set mixed to do that area about 4 times over! I guess I'll get better at judging this with the more jobs I do.

Add powder to water rather than water to powder.
All bags will at least have an approximate mix ratio on the bag. I have a measuring jug on the van, mainly fir SLC mixing. As the guys I do addy by eye and feel.
Might be handy for you to get one until you get used to your ratios. I've also got a small set of luggage scales. Nowt wrong eith being maticulous ;)

Q

Qwerty

Add powder to water rather than water to powder.
All bags will at least have an approximate mix ratio on the bag. I have a measuring jug on the van, mainly fir SLC mixing. As the guys I do addy by eye and feel.
Might be handy for you to get one until you get used to your ratios. I've also got a small set of luggage scales. Nowt wrong eith being maticulous ;)

Likewise, only ever use it for SLC & large expanses of grouting mosaic when I mix a whole bag of grout.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Good advice Ali - My next tiling tool purchase is a measuring jug!

i do put the water in the bucket first - just seem to put too much in!

If you have a CTD near you they're selling medium size weber pails. Only £2ish. I got a couple of them. Handy for when, like geoff, you mix a whole bag of grout, measuring out your water and weighing part bags of addy.
But a jugs handy too. Somewhere like wilkinsons? Or other cheap, highstreet, I sell everything shop. Got the luggage scales from one too. Couple of quid each.

Last edited:
R

RDTiling

Went round yesterday to replace the one cracked tile, the customer then asked me if I could re grout the floor as most of the grout was cracked/crumbling, and would make the grout colour the same. I thought 'bonus' some extra ££'s!

After removing the cracked tile, I raked out the grout from around the next tile and the tile just lifted off, the next tile did the same, so I stopped there and let the customer know the problem.

The bathroom floor has been over boarded with ply, which after removing the tile and adhesive looks sound, although after lifting almost 1m in length of tiles I didn't see a single screw going into the floor boards. I set up my laser level and walked over the floor and there was little or no movement.

Current floor has been down about 10 years and the grout has been cracked for 'quite a while'. I can only assume that water, steam etc has got into the cracks and started to work the adhesive loose.

Customer asked me to just refit the three tiles and grout around them. They have conceded they will need to look into replacing the floor soon, so the have my number for when the time comes.

After all that, your advice re amount of water was spot on and there was very little wastage, so thank you again to all who replied.

I've got a measuring jug now and is sitting in the flexi bucket, that is currently being using as a toolbox, in the back of the van.

Rich

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Mixing ratios for one tile in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB