Discuss Moisture Meter in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stef

Hi, look for an F.ball & co one.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391723560.032426.jpg

S

Spud

the answer is they are all different Raff and depending on what test you want to do you need different equipment for each , there is a digitial electronic meter from Tramex called a concrete moisture encounter meter this elecetronically tests the amount of water in the test sample non destructive , then there is a hygrometer which can be destructive or non destructive depending on how you test the area and you can do a calcium carbide reagent test which is a destructive test where by you take a sample crush it up put it in a reaction vessel with a reagent powder and the amount of gas produced in the vessel relates to the amount of water in the sample so the answer is it depends on what you are testing for and how accurate you need to be

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
The hygrometer is the technically correct test but there what you can do is get your client to tape a sheet of polythene to the floor for a day or so and see if the screed shows obvious moisture in the form of colour change or condensation. This would tell you it's not dry enough to test and save you a journey to site.

Alternatively you might consider offering the client a "free" hygrometer (price it into the job) and he can do the testing and call you in when it's ready.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
the answer is they are all different Raff and depending on what test you want to do you need different equipment for each , there is a digitial electronic meter from Tramex called a concrete moisture encounter meter this elecetronically tests the amount of water in the test sample non destructive , then there is a hygrometer which can be destructive or non destructive depending on how you test the area and you can do a calcium carbide reagent test which is a destructive test where by you take a sample crush it up put it in a reaction vessel with a reagent powder and the amount of gas produced in the vessel relates to the amount of water in the sample so the answer is it depends on what you are testing for and how accurate you need to be

The latter is the carbide bomb test. The concrete moisture encounter is a great bit of kit for giving a good indication of moisture level. I used to use one myself. Take a patch about a meter square and take ten readings. Take an average and that will give you a reasonable indication. If it says it's dry test it properly with the hygrometer as a back stop.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Moisture Meter in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm looking to tile the entirety of our small patio area with either brick slips or...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB