Discuss Morrocan Encaustic cement tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dobragol

Hi Guys
Did check this with three different manufacturers / suppliers in UK and they all saying those
tiles can be used outdoor but you are right Timeless John the colours on tiles will fade and those tiles are subject to cracking and chipping during winter months ( also confirmed with suppliers ).Customer is beware of those issues
but would like to create unique feature wall in her garden .
It wouldn't be a problem installing them on floor but brick wall is something I never done before and not sure how to prepare this for tiling hence the question .

C

Concrete guy

You're not going to be able bond tiles directly to a brick wall in a way that will last beyond one season. What you are proposing (or what your customer is asking for) is exterior cladding. So I'd be inclined to "clad" rather than "Tile".

I would fix a moisture resistant cement board to the wall mechanically using an aluminium frame (or similar) then tile the board. The framework acts as a decoupler and removes the issue of moisture seeping down behind the tiles and "blowing" them from the face.

Aquapanel make an outdoor cladding board which may or may not be suitable for this purpose (I've not read the full spec), here's a link to their PDF specification sheet.

[DLMURL]http://www.aquapanel.com/media/109139/AQUAPANEL_Cement_Board_Outdoor_Climateshield_EN.pdf[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr Tiler

You're not going to be able bond tiles directly to a brick wall in a way that will last beyond one season. What you are proposing (or what your customer is asking for) is exterior cladding. So I'd be inclined to "clad" rather than "Tile".

I would fix a moisture resistant cement board to the wall mechanically using an aluminium frame (or similar) then tile the board. The framework acts as a decoupler and removes the issue of moisture seeping down behind the tiles and "blowing" them from the face.

Aquapanel make an outdoor cladding board which may or may not be suitable for this purpose (I've not read the full spec), here's a link to their PDF specification sheet.

[DLMURL]http://www.aquapanel.com/media/109139/AQUAPANEL_Cement_Board_Outdoor_Climateshield_EN.pdf[/DLMURL]

could he not just glue and mechanically fix a moisture resisistant board to the wall rather than frame it off?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Concrete guy

Would you recommend render the wall first if the bricks are out of level by few inches ?
it's very old garden wall and tiling directly it's not an option in my opinion

I think that would be overkill, you could space the frame with shims.

If it's that wonky I'd make a stand alone frame then offer it up to the wall (maybe in sections depending how big it is) then fix with brackets and true it all up as you go.

The idea of the cladding is removing a wet trade step which means you can build and tile without having to wait for things to dry/set.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Morrocan Encaustic cement tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there I’m new to Tile Forum and joined to get professional opinions because I really need...
Replies
Views
Hello guys. I came upon and registered with this forum while doing some research on decoupling...
Replies
Views
hats67 - Yesterday at 11:48 PM Add bookmark #1 Hello guys. I came upon and registered with...
Replies
Views
Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views
As the title suggests I'm hoping to get some good advice from you folks about tile adhesive for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB