Discuss Mosaic mesh adhesive & skirting tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

darkmoomin

Hi all,

Been lurking a little while now - thanks for all the infor, but now have a few quiestions I can find answers too and hope someone out there can help!

Hi,

We would like to create a mosaic border for the edge of the bathroom. In consultation with BAL we have purchased the single part fast flex which we will use with admix ad1, and recommended as a deep bed solid bed application. The tiles are not as small as most of the ready made mesh mosaic sheets, but probably too small to easily lay in a deep bed adhesive (and they are the same thickness as the rest of the floor tiles so need the same thickness of bed).

So we are looking at getting some of the mosaic mesh and making up mesh sections ourselves to help with the laying of the tiles.

I was going to get the non adhesive mesh, but the only recommendation I can find for how to attach the tiles to it is with PVA and I was concerned this would not retain adhesion with the tile adhesive underneath.

What glue should I use to attach the tiles to the mesh? Or is it just better to pay the extra cost for self adhesive mesh?

Also, I am sure I saw in my tile research, some skirting tiles that were actually a curve with a 90 degree back, one side longer than the other (so a curveded L-shpae profile) which you could use across the join between wall and floor. These were definitely a ceramic tile and not an edging strip. However can't for the life of me remember where I saw them (will have been on a wensite) or what they were called? Does anyone have any idea?

Cheers

U

user123

Hi, :) The point of fixing mosaic tiles to the mesh is only to use tiny dots of PVA glue (waterproof PVA is preferable) to the mesh so that the strips of mosaic on mesh can be handled - it is however the cement adhesive it goes on that is supposed to grab the tiles through the mesh - so NEVER cover all the mosaic tiles in PVA as that would just not last. It is for that reason that the mosaic mesh has such a large weave, enough to offer some threads joining with the glue, but not too small for the adhesive to come through. Make sure that you press the mosaic strips flat into the adhesive with a float. Can't help you with the rest I'm afraid. Mosaic mesh is just fine, no need to buy self adhesive mesh. :thumbsup:

Reply to Mosaic mesh adhesive & skirting tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Mosaic mesh adhesive & skirting tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.