Discuss mosaic mesh in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

The D

I was having a chat with one of the companies at the CTD day and they was trying to convince me that this plastic mosaic mesh was the dogs danglers. To say it was a bad move on there part to even start talking to me is an understatement. The first thing that I noticed about this stuff was IMO is that it is fixed on the wrong side of the mosaic sheet. When I questioned them on this they said no no no it is fine it has been tested by all the adhesive manufacturers and there are no problems it sticks fine and passed all the tests. So I asked what tests and what manufacturers they said numerous tests and BAL Weber and Mapei. Well they are all here I will go and ask them but before I go what do you think of BS 5385 where it says the backing material should not occupy more than 25% of each individual mosaic tile?? He just looked at me like I was out to lunch lol
Funnily enough when I asked if anyone had tested this product I got the same look:lol:

T

The D

Just to be clere he wasn't from CTD and as I said to him it all depends on the type on backing you already have on the mosaics and the size of them I showed him on a 10 by 10 mosaic where the mesh crossed some of the tiles were almost entirely covered and there was a section that had there logo on it that compleatly covered 3 tiled but if you put the mesh on the front of the tile ther is no problem with contact. They just need to make them with a lower cack adhesive.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
So what you are saying deano is that the glue is rubbish and will break down, so u need more addy coverage?
I would of thought it has been tested though ? Surely it has to pass some sort of test to go on the market , to make sure its up to the job ?
I aint got a clue how it works ! Could someone enlighten me to the process !
Just watched the vid, wish i would od done it with mine, couldnt budge em, just ripped the mosaic off ;)

T

The D

I have no idea what tests they have to do if any but if they have done tests on them the have ether over looked or ignored the fact that it occupies more than 25% of each individual tile on the smaller mosaics. So it is certainly not suitable for use with some mosaics but it makes no mention of that.
As you can see from the video they do not stick that well but you can do your own test if you have a different brand. I think they are poo and for that reason I am out.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I have no idea what tests they have to do if any but if they have done tests on them the have ether over looked or ignored the fact that it occupies more than 25% of each individual tile on the smaller mosaics. So it is certainly not suitable for use with some mosaics but it makes no mention of that.
As you can see from the video they do not stick that well but you can do your own test if you have a different brand. I think they are poo and for that reason I am out.
ok mate,no problemo,like i said i did a test and they were fine,even used em in my bathroom,so if owt happens i will post ,so far so good though ;)

A

AMtek

The mesh i use is slightly different from the pictures above, the one i use have glue on the back that is sort of rubbery and if you leave them in a warm room for a few hours before you mount the mosaic on them they are very difficult to get off and if you try the mosaics come off their backing.

No offence charlie1 but it is much easier to stick the mesh on the mosaics than skimming the backs with addy and leaving them to dry. Stick the mesh on and stick them up. easy

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

well the problem as i see it if you add mesh to the back of the mosaic you have to use a deaper trowel to fill the exstra mesh and the back of the tile with the adhesive so you stand a much higher chance of the adhesive comming through the joints i will always make the diffrence up by making a gauge to go between the larger tile fill with rapid set then run off exsses with a gauge leaving the right deph to fix the moisac

C

charlie1

The mesh i use is slightly different from the pictures above, the one i use have glue on the back that is sort of rubbery and if you leave them in a warm room for a few hours before you mount the mosaic on them they are very difficult to get off and if you try the mosaics come off their backing.

No offence charlie1 but it is much easier to stick the mesh on the mosaics than skimming the backs with addy and leaving them to dry. Stick the mesh on and stick them up. easy

its really no hassle, eg, 1 x vertical border 300 wide, 8 sheets spread in 10 mins before you clean your tools and head home. 2 benefits, no extra tools required, no extra money spent. I don't doubt the sheets are quite good but do they merit the cost? ... Not for me.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

I just see this, what are them plastic things for ? ?? i first showed an article a long time ago about this sort of thing and the water based glue they were fixed to the mesh that was to dense to allow contact with between tile surface and adhesive here http://www.infotile.com/pdfFile/advicetopic/48201031834.pdf take a look , a real tiler don't need plastic things like them for anything !!.

N

NZ_Tiler

I just see this, what are them plastic things for ? ?? i first showed an article a long time ago about this sort of thing and the water based glue they were fixed to the mesh that was to dense to allow contact with between tile surface and adhesive here http://www.infotile.com/pdfFile/advicetopic/48201031834.pdf take a look , a real tiler don't need plastic things like them for anything !!.

That was a read and a half, that wholesaler is like the Erin Brockovich of the tiling world!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to mosaic mesh in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello - any advice welcome. My tiler laid our mosaic floor sheets incorrectly so the pattern...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, I had some mosaics installed the other week and seeing some very odd discoloration on...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB