Discuss most difficult thing about being self employed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

bugs183

I find the accounts ok, every week the paperwork gets filed, and then off to the accountant at the end of the year.
What gets me is balancing money when the cashflow slows, this week i've not earned much at all, as my van needs a good looking at, and i've been out to measure jobs during the day as you can't see them in the winter evenings. All this adds up, van costs, diesel to look at the jobs, the time etc.
This is what people don't see or understand, so when todays job viewing tried to cancel and suggest i go tomorrow i had to put my foot down and insist i go today.
It sounds a bit petty, but its these weeks that gobble up your profits.
But at least the jobs i'm pricing are good ones, so it is worth the effort.

A

Alan M

Unpaid holidays... we all hate those.

i think some of ye arnt working out your rates properly.
if done properly you will get paid on those days, easter , bank holidays, christmass etc.
it should be calculated into the costs.
if you want x amount a day for yourself ,you should allow that amount times the total no of days(365-all the week ends but including holidays,sick days,no of days a year you want off) . then devide that by how many days you want to work. then add all the business costs etc

you should also have a section in your quote that charges the cost of quoting (probably not called that thow) . it should represent the cost of doing all the quotes through the year devided by the percentage you hope to win. if it costs you 20 pounds to do a quote (in deisil,time,lost profit,etc) and you usually win 50 %of quotes then the charge should be 40 gbp .

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester

Attachments

• polish_a_turd_postcard-p239900226315722357z85wg_400.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 71
M

MTiler

Consistency of work does me, always seems to be feast or famine - can't plan more than 2-3 weeks ahead usually and begrudge turning work away when it could go slack a few weeks later.

That does my head in, and being left high and dry. Youve turned down work 'cos you have worked booked to start (and customer never wants to wait) and then that work isnt ready for you but they dont let you know till the day before and youre stuffed.

missyT

Reply to most difficult thing about being self employed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey Guys, Long time no speak. I had a good run during winter but things have dried up a bit...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
"Your posts are farcical. You claim there is no need to tank plasterboard in a shower before...
Replies
Views
TJ Smiler
T
I've not long got in from viewing a job some 30 minutes drive from me. Large house in a rural...
Replies
Views
A
So it seems to me that this country and its government are just out to screw over the small...
Replies
Views
AMtek
A

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB