Discuss Mouldy Bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

faithhealer

Large bathroom, half original 70s, half extension (dont know age) extractor fans both sides including one over the shower. Mould all over even on tiling that was redone a year ago. Swears he used top silicon. Going to strip it including all the plaster, redo (I'm guessing there will be an additive for the plaster, will tank etc and epoxy grout. Anything else I can do to stop mould? Any thoughts lads?

U

user123

If there is mould in the plaster it will transfer through the grout etc..

Good quality extractor unit and good regular cleaning regime will keep it right..

That's a good bit of wisdom to know...

I dry my shower walls in my small bathroom with a microfibre cloth after every use, it's very quick and effective, and if in a rush I spray shower clean spray on before I leave, that could be a good tip for your customer? I think the microfibre cloth is more effective than a squeedgy on the grout...

U

user123

mould anywhere else in house at all? i installed something called envirovent in my hall a year ago,,we had a mould issue as there wasnt enough ventilation in the house as a whole and it was all gathering in the bedroom and bathroom,sounds dodgy if they have 2 extractors and it hasnt solved it

Yes, but it does depend on them using them, too... and if it's a badly insulated north wall..

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
That's heavy that is heavytrevy! Sometimes mould can just be a pain in the back side and always comes back no matter how much you clean. I'd also suspect it's in the plaster and working it's way through to the tile. I guess there's quite a bit too. Once it's there, without taking of the tiles and treating the plaster it'll just keep coming back.

Got a sister-in-law with a two bed terrace, single brick walls, has to decorate annually (bless her). It's a problem with the whole area where she lives as all the houses were built back in the day with single brick external walls and it just attracts damp even on the hottest days.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Have you checked the plumbing for leaks? Is there water coming in from outside? Does the bathroom smell like the London Dungeon's? Have you used a moisture meter on the walls? Does the mould like a particular part of the room? These are just a few thoughts off the top of my head......and now for the silly thought.......would UFH be of any help in this situation? i.e. it would help to dry out the room quicker after a shower. I know that thought contradicts the fact that mould likes warm, dark, moist places. Good luck.

H

heavytrevy

heavy but true, mould has to have something to eat for it to grow, heres a little snippet from wiki,
There are thousands of known species of molds which include opportunistic pathogens, saprotrophs, aquatic species, and thermophiles.[2] Like all fungi, molds derive energy not through photosynthesis but from the organic matter in which they live. Typically, molds secrete hydrolytic enzymes, mainly from the hyphal tips. These enzymes degrade complex biopolymers such as starch, cellulose and lignin into simpler substances which can be absorbed by the hyphae. In this way, molds play a major role in causing decomposition of organic material, enabling the recycling of nutrients throughout ecosystems

Regards

That's heavy that is heavytrevy! Sometimes mould can just be a pain in the back side and always comes back no matter how much you clean. I'd also suspect it's in the plaster and working it's way through to the tile. I guess there's quite a bit too. Once it's there, without taking of the tiles and treating the plaster it'll just keep coming back.

Got a sister-in-law with a two bed terrace, single brick walls, has to decorate annually (bless her). It's a problem with the whole area where she lives as all the houses were built back in the day with single brick external walls and it just attracts damp even on the hottest days.

F

faithhealer

heavy but true, mould has to have something to eat for it to grow, heres a little snippet from wiki,
There are thousands of known species of molds which include opportunistic pathogens, saprotrophs, aquatic species, and thermophiles.[2] Like all fungi, molds derive energy not through photosynthesis but from the organic matter in which they live. Typically, molds secrete hydrolytic enzymes, mainly from the hyphal tips. These enzymes degrade complex biopolymers such as starch, cellulose and lignin into simpler substances which can be absorbed by the hyphae. In this way, molds play a major role in causing decomposition of organic material, enabling the recycling of nutrients throughout ecosystems

Regards
errr yeah, think I'll go with Jamies idea

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Mouldy Bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
F
Hi all I'm tiling my second kitchen, and just wanted to check in with you all that I'm doing it...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
L
Hello all, My in-laws are currently having their bathroom refitted (first floor) and having...
Replies
Views
swanman
S

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB