Discuss MR tiler in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

Bri - I'am to old to train another young un but feel as though I've done my bit with 4( the last for 13 years my son!). When you are providing a quality service the customer will not expect a novice to be doing the work and so you have to pick and choose the training carefully. I always took the view it's not what they earn in a day, but how much extra work I did to pay their wages. If it is a question of making your life easier then it's not going to work.

I

Ian

I've never really look at it like that John, I suppose I've always thought of an apprentice as someone who could eventually earn me more money and build my business, rather than giving something back to the trade. Don't get me wrong, I understand that passing on skills is, of course, giving something back but I suppose I've got myself stuck in the mindset of it making my working life harder to start with. A little selfish I suppose.

S

Stef

I took on a boy 3/4 weeks ago, my mates 20yr old son.
He's a great worker, dead keen & has been out on building sites the past couple of years as a painter & joiner.

I'm using him for general labouring & he's picked up the grouting quick but sometimes it's frustrating as he's standing around watching as I'm grafting my proverbial off to make more money to pay his wage.

It's a double edged sword as he is making me money as I don't have to fall back grouting but other days he's slowing me down with using the cutter etc.

I will keep him on though & hope it turns out well.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
i was told by the job-shop this week if i take on someone who has been out-of work for 6months or more then the job shop will give you £ 2000.00 for taking them on ...... as i need help at the moment , but with working away a lot its not for everyone !!

That's the problem I've got Dave. I could do with a labourer but working all over the country it's not going to be easy to find someone

P

Pebbs

I have a new apprentice at the moment we are six weeks in...and so far so good...except for one exeption. He texted in at 6.30 last Sunday morning saying he wanted to take his daughter to the park!! He was texted back telling him to get his bum into gear and go to work. Well he never turned up, so on Monday morning the riot act was read, the fact is he let the others down at the last minute, and I ended up being 'miss whippy' with the sand and cement, which in all truth be told is not a job for a woman unless she is built like fatima whitbread on steriods. I tried my hardest, but I struggled, then got put onto 'light duties' grouting... :thumbsdown: better that than going onto penalty clause.

I want this lad to turn out ok, if he pulls a stunt like that, this weekend, he will be down the road, and he can only look to himself for the reason why.

Lynn

G

Gazzer

Far too eager and he seems to see things as black or white with no middle ground. He may also have learning difficulties as I asked him what 68 x 20 was and he didnt know !

He was shown how to grout using Granfix brown, not to use too much water and that with the tiles we were given ( Glazed ceramic) that it was wasy to polish off after one pass over with a washboy. This is where a problem could lie, I only have this job to take him on. If he goes away and uses Mapei grout in the same way he could land in big trouble.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to MR tiler in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, New to the site and first post. I need some advice please. I have 2 quotes from tilers and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views
Continue reading...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Hi, is there any pro tilers on here local to Weymouth Dorset? I would love to come and do a few...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB