Discuss Mucked up my half-bond... d'oh!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gross Loydman

Aargh! I tiled most of the wall above my bath yesterday, and, upon surveying my work this morning, realised that when I carried the half-bond around the corner of the room, I started with a half-tile where it should have been a full one (half-tile?!?!? why!!!!!!!!). :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
bathroom1.jpg

So what to do now? I'm a bit of a perfectionist so loath to leave it as it is, but I suspect that remedying it is going to be difficult. There are 15 offending tiles, 40x30 ceramics, laid onto No More Ply with Mapei flexible rapidset (which was also used to fix the NMP onto the breezeblock wall). I'm presuming that a bolster chisel and club hammer is the order of the day to get them off, but I'd like them to come off intact if possible, and I don't want to annoy the neighbours any more than I already have... is there no way other than the chisel? (I'm prepared to put the time in to sort it out, however long it takes). I'm also concerned that the act of levering the tiles off might compromise the adhesion between the NMP and the breezeblock...?

First ever tiling attempt so don't be too harsh on me... I'm annoyed enough with myself as it is. (But, as they say, experience is the name we give our mistakes... or summat...)

(PS I'm going to have a 1 tile high shelf at the end of the bath to take up the gap between the end of the bath and the wall, which will leave only the 2 'offending' tile lines you can see in the pic which don't continue the half-bond properly, plus another half-tile at the top of the wall, so maybe it wouldn't look too bad...?)

G

Gross Loydman

Quick update... I tried prising a couple of the tiles off the wall, and they came off without too much difficulty to be honest... just needed to get the chisel a decent way under the tile, angled it, heard the 'snap' of the addy breaking, and the tile came away intact. Which is quite a relief cos it means I'll be able to get the layout right! And it does enable me to see the bed that I achieved, which is interesting to see. I've actually attached pics of the bed left on the wall, and the addy left on one of the tiles, to canvass opinion as to whether the bed was sufficient. Bear in mind that these tiles will be next to the shower, so will be subject to occasional soaking. I wasn't planning on tanking (yeah, yeah, I know) since it's only a small flat and won't be subject to intensive use. Plus I hoped that NMP and Mapei flexible grout and addy would be a decent enough combination not to need it...

Opinions welcome.

Attachments

• IMAG0030.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0031.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 64

Reply to Mucked up my half-bond... d'oh!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Mucked up my half-bond... d'oh!!!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.