UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Multiple Sub Base with UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

coreypower

Hi All. This is my first post. I've tried to find similar posts but not found anything that mirrors my current project. I'm hoping you have some good advice.

I've bought an old house that used to have two separate rooms converted to one very big kitchen. Both sides of the room have a different sub floor. One concrete and one is joist and floorboards. As it happened the floorboards and joists are rotten so need to be replaced. I will be replacing these with the same large dimension joists to maintain the current floor height with plenty of noggins and supports but will be replacing the floorboards with 22mm moisture resistant Weyroc. The concrete side is largely level but might need one corner raising an inch or so with some self levelling compound and finally a chemical dpc.

I want to install under floor heating and been researching suitable floor coverings. What I have come up with is bascially levelling the concrete and making sure it is at the same level and the weyroc flooring. Over the top of this I was planning to install 10mm marmox boards over the whole floor fixed as per manufacturers recomendations. Over the top of this will be the ufh cable and finally a 12mm travertine tile fixed wth Bal rapidset flexible white adhesive.

I had considered using a decoupling membrane, such as ditras or genesis gmat, but thought it a little unneccessary. I had also though of using 25mm wbp ply instead of weyroc. The whole task if replacing the wooden side of the kitchen was unexpected work so money is tight so thought it best to leave both of these options. Is what I have planned suitable to give proper support, adhesion and protect against movement? Can Marmox boards function as a sort of decoupling layer or at least serve a similar function? Is my adhesive choice suitable? Is 10mm Marmox enough? Is there anything else I should consider? I do realise I can make it a lot better but I want to keep costs down.

Any help anyone can prvide would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,Corey

C

coreypower

Thanks for the replies. I realise I can make the whole job a lot better but I am really tight for cash. Changing the weyroc for ply, adding ditra (or similar), adding the slc, having two runs of ufh cable and the extra adhesive required would add way over £500 to the job. If I compromised by replacing the weyroc with ply but kept everything else the same would you think it would be satisfactory?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Multiple Sub Base with UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I asked the Wunda technical department if I can just use a Ditra mat only and not the SLC...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
We're quoting to rip up and replace a tiled floor with Limestone tiles. I'm looking for advice...
Replies
Views
I'm a total tiling beginner having my kitchen/diner redone by builders. The dining area has a...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Multiple Sub Base with UFH
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.