Discuss Must I tile the wall?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mocha

Hi guys, I need some advice please- we had a shower installed above the bath where around the bath the walls are tiled but not as high as where the show was installed. Basically the walls (plasterboard I think) where the shower is installed are painted with 4 layers of steam and water resistant Dulux bathroom paint . The area does get splashes when someone is having a shower. I was told if I put laiminate sheeting on the painted wall would be good to ensure waterproofing. Is that right or must I tile the wall? Thanks and hope someone can get back to me soon.

D

Deleted member 9966

hi

there's no law that says you have to tile, but the 4 layers of paint are only water resistant and not waterproof. eventually the paint could start to break down after continuous use of the shower and you could find the water will seep into the plasterboard and start to ruin the boards both inside the bathroom and the other side if a room adjoins. And when plasterboard gets wet and cannot dry out thoroughly, it will start to go mouldy. I had this problem within my shower cubicle (which was tiled, very badly) and the plasterboard was crumbling and the tiles were almost dropping off the walls because water was ingressing into the plasterboard. Also the insulation and adjoining plasterboard from the next room were turning mouldy.

There are other options on the market that are an alternative to tiles, however I would suggest you do your research as these can prove just as expensive as tiles.

my recommendation would be to strip back the existing tiles, check the existing plasterboard is sound, tank it (either a paintable waterproofing gum or sheets of tanking material by any of the big tile adhesive manufacturers), re-tile full height from bath to ceiling using the right adhesives and grouts.

nothing is impermeable forever. Eventually tiles and grouts will break down, but modern manufacturers have this high on their agendas and are working to produce the most technologically advanced materials that they can so people don't have to replace tiles/adhesives/grout for years and years.

M

mocha

Thanks very much GirlRacerRed. I must check around and for lasting materials. Can I just ask is the price usually a precise reflection of quality? I had been to a tiling shoping and some 6'x6' plain tiles are just 10pence each while some other are £1 each. In a case like this (say for tiles), does it mean the cheaper one will disintegrate much quicker or are there guideance of how long they should survive? Moc

M

Mocha

Hello, Just want to thank for the answers I received. Really appreciate it.

So where should I go to get the right tiles (in terms of price and quality)? Is Top Tiles which is local to me stock reasonable stuff? Also what should I be aware of when I look around for a tiler? (if there is a site/ directory you would recommend)

Moc

Generally speaking Mocha, price is reflected in the quality of tiles, most pro's would like to ban DIY sheds stocking tiles as the quality is usually pretty bad! You get anything from differing sizes in the same box, to blurry patterns on the glaze, and poor quality clay used in the manufacture.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mocha

Re: Must I tile the wall?? Is there a tiler directory?

Hello, I am not sure if I should start a new thread- I have called a number of tilers (some I just left message) and a couple I spoke to said the job is too small and it is not worth their time (most found on yellow page and a few online). Is there a tiler directory I could go onto for those who doesn't mind doing a small job??

One guy I spoke to said I should buy the adhesive and tiles myself (I knew I had to buy tiles myself but didn't know about adhesive. Does it mean generally I am expected to supply grout and stuffl for the tilers?)

Also, the guy said if I go for ceramic tiles since they are non-porous it is all down to the quality of the adhesive and grout to ensure the tiling last. Please let me know what you think. Thanks a bunch.

Mocha

Reply to Must I tile the wall?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Must I tile the wall??
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.