UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss My first question! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mitchino

I am repairing a shower tiled with glass mosaics, I'm replacing all the lower half backing boards which were plasterboard with aquapanel, and then laying mosaics to match the old ones. The mosaic tiles are on an incredibly floppy mesh, and I was thinking I could glue them to a stiffer mesh before fitting them to make the job easier. Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable mesh material? I've seen some slate mosaics that are on a quite stiff mesh, that's the kind of stuff I'd like to find.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

M

Mike

Not all mosaic are like these though - they are the floppiest I've seen, like trying to lay chain mail. They sag and the gaps become uneven, the corner tiles rotate etc. As you say, I don't want them to be proud of the old tiles, but I thought there might be a fibreglass sheet I could use, or maybe I could spray them with starch on the back?!
if you use the plastic backer you can use a smaller notched trowel for the mosaics e.g. 3mm against 6mm for the field tiles. the backer's only about 2mm

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to My first question! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
E
Hi all, I am a newbie and diyer. We are retiling the bathroom in our new house but are having...
Replies
Views
elaine17
E
J
I am working on project where two mosaic tiles from usa have been specified. they are in stock...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
M
Hi, hope that someone might be able to help. We are currently in the process of tiling our...
Replies
Views
M
D
Hi guys, I stumbled across this site at the weekend when searching online for some DIY bathroom...
Replies
Views
White Room
W

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
My first question!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.