Discuss My first tiling attempt in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

dantheram

Evening all,

i'm about to start my first tiling project, so thought i'd ask around here for some friendly advice.

Heres the plan -

i have 8sqm to tile with 300mm square tiles, the tiles will go on to heating mat which in turn will sit on 6mm insulation board.

i will be using flexible adhesive to adhere the boards to the subfloor, using a 10mm round notched trowel. for the tiles i'm not sure which trowel to use and what problems i'll have where i go from tiling on to heating mat to just tiling on to insulation board (my heating mat does not cover all areas, just those where i'll be standing most - 5sqm in the middle of the kitchen).

Regards,

Dan

D

dantheram

My advice is to fix the boards using a 6mm notched trowel. Self level over the top of the UFH mat, then use the 10mm trowel to fix tiles.

What is the subfloor and why not use 10mm boards?

im a bit pushed for space hence the 6mm board. the sub floor is concrete.

is the SLC a must? i keep hearing 2 schools of thought on this, one for and one it doesn't matter.

Dan

Do it without SLC, and then you'll definitely use it next time.

Tile goes down, needs a little bit of adjustment, pull the tile up, then realise you've also pulled half the wires up with it. No problem, stick the tile to one side and sort the wires out. Re-stick the tile. Another tile needs more addy, so up comes the tile, with wire. Jeez this is doing my head in, oh, my Rapid's gone off in the bucket....- wish I'd covered the cables first.

Just my view on it.

D

dantheram

Do it without SLC, and then you'll definitely use it next time.

Tile goes down, needs a little bit of adjustment, pull the tile up, then realise you've also pulled half the wires up with it. No problem, stick the tile to one side and sort the wires out. Re-stick the tile. Another tile needs more addy, so up comes the tile, with wire. Jeez this is doing my head in, oh, my Rapid's gone off in the bucket....- wish I'd covered the cables first.

Just my view on it.

i can quite easily see how this could happen. Will the tape not hold the matting to the board very well? Maybe if I use a hot glue gun as well it might stay down when I adjust tiles?

is SLC a barsteward to use? I know you don't just sling it down an alls good, obviously it needs troweling but is that it really?

D

dantheram

Always encase a heat mat into slc, it will help spread the heat more evenly & there will be no air pockets.
I don't know where the 2 school of thoughts come from as far as I'm concerned its a must & bad practice not to slc.
Use Mapei Ultraplan renovation screed as it flows easier.

cheers for the heads up on the SLC to use.

any tips on application? was going to try and mix up enough to at least half the floor, trowel this out, then do the other half - sound alright?

i've got 8sqm to cover at 3/4mm but around the perimeter of the kitchen (where the units are) i dont want the SLC running. My idea is to build a simple dam out of carboard or bits of wood.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

cheers for the heads up on the SLC to use.

any tips on application? was going to try and mix up enough to at least half the floor, trowel this out, then do the other half - sound alright?

i've got 8sqm to cover at 3/4mm but around the perimeter of the kitchen (where the units are) i dont want the SLC running. My idea is to build a simple dam out of carboard or bits of wood.

Spot on that's just what I do, good luck with it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to My first tiling attempt in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB