UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss My First Wetroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

b1gbrad

Hi Folks.:wave2:

I've yet to post or introduce myself so ..."hello"! I've been working on my wetroom for a few months now and have took inspiration, ideas, advice etc. from many of threads on here, so thanks chaps! So I thought it was about time to post a few pics and progress of where I'm upto.

This was our old en suite in our recently purchased new house.

iphone 848.jpg iphone 850.jpg iphone 852.jpg
Nice isn't it! :lol:

So, it was time to rip everything out.

iphone 854.jpg iphone 855.jpg iphone 856.jpg iphone 874.jpg iphone 875.jpg iphone pics 040.jpg iphone pics 039.jpg

My plumber friend sorted the pipework for the repositioning of the sink and toilet, and the towel warmer and waste from the shower. The floor was replaced with 18mm ply. The Marmox showerstone was raised higher with more ply to accommodate the inevitable extra height of the underfloor heating, screed and the tiles.

iphone pics 067.jpg iphone pics 068.jpg iphone pics 069.jpg iphone pics 070.jpg iphone pics 071.jpg iphone pics 044.jpg

R

Rich

Re: My First Wet room

Hello and thank you for introducing yourself. Will start off by saying brave brave man, a wet room is no DIY project IMO. Just be sure to come on here and get the advice you need BEFORE you do each stage, there is sooooooo much that can go wrong. Dont mean to be negative, it is just heart breaking when these projects end up costing 5 times the amount it would cost to get a pro in due to water damage.

That said, best of luck with it and be sure to keep us updated along the way :thumbsup:

O

ojtiler

Hi,

Thanks for posting details of your project. What thickness Marmox board did you use on the walls? - and did you use the same thickness on the floor? How did you get on with installing the Marmox? I'm working on my own wetroom project, and am considering replacing plywood currenltly on the stud wall with Marmox (I have posted some details of my project on the same forum.

Many thanks...

B

b1gbrad

Hi there,

Installing the Marmox has been pretty staight forward; their website has very good installation guides. I made sure i used plenty of their sealant in the holes I drilled for the stainless screws, around the edges of each board and then over the backer board washers. I used 10mm on the walls and, as floor height was at a premium , 6mm on the floor. I fixed the later with tile adhesive and screws + washers. I think they recommend to use 10mm minimum for both the floor and walls, but I replaced all my subflooring with new 18mm ply so I'm confident it's all strong enough.

I'm currently tiling so I can't really comment on it's longevity in use...but fingers crossed! :)

B

bugs183

Looking good Brad.
What is your next plan, tile the walls then the floors???
You're doing a great job there so i (and i reckon the other guys) would say tape the wall floor intersection again and cover in mapegum, then tile the walls. Then tank the remainder of the floor, or better still lay either Ditra matting or Dural C1 on the floor, tape the joints.
These measures will make sure the room is double tanked and the uncoupling membrane will also allow any lateral movement in the floor generated by the underfloor heating.
This will give you a really good quality, bomb proof wetroom.

O

ojtiler

Hi there,

Installing the Marmox has been pretty staight forward; their website has very good installation guides. I made sure i used plenty of their sealant in the holes I drilled for the stainless screws, around the edges of each board and then over the backer board washers. I used 10mm on the walls and, as floor height was at a premium , 6mm on the floor. I fixed the later with tile adhesive and screws + washers. I think they recommend to use 10mm minimum for both the floor and walls, but I replaced all my subflooring with new 18mm ply so I'm confident it's all strong enough.

I'm currently tiling so I can't really comment on it's longevity in use...but fingers crossed! :)

Hi - thanks for the follow-up and further pics....

I can see you have applied Mapegum over the Marmox panels on the all, too. I guess this is just part of the 'belt and braces' approach?.... as far as I can see from Marmox's website, they say their panels are ready for tiling (once the edges have been sealed with silicone).

I can also see from the photos that the Marmox washers do protrude from the panel a bit. Have you found any difficulty with this now that you have started your tiling. (e.g. any problems getting an even adhesive layer & tiles flat??).

Many thanks..

B

b1gbrad

Hi - thanks for the follow-up and further pics....

I can also see from the photos that the Marmox washers do protrude from the panel a bit. Have you found any difficulty with this now that you have started your tiling. (e.g. any problems getting an even adhesive layer & tiles flat??).

Many thanks..

Yes, they do protrude somewhat, but I've started tiling with quite a thick adhesive bed to compensate. It'll take quite a bit longer to tile, but I'm sure it'll be worth the extra effort.....hopefully!

B

b1gbrad

Looking good Brad.
What is your next plan, tile the walls then the floors???
You're doing a great job there so i (and i reckon the other guys) would say tape the wall floor intersection again and cover in mapegum, then tile the walls. Then tank the remainder of the floor, or better still lay either Ditra matting or Dural C1 on the floor, tape the joints.
These measures will make sure the room is double tanked and the uncoupling membrane will also allow any lateral movement in the floor generated by the underfloor heating.
This will give you a really good quality, bomb proof wetroom.

Thanks for the advice, but it's a little too late! I've already tiled the floor and shower area (I'll post the pics up soon). Most of the shower area will be sectioned off with glass so I think the floor will be mostly protected from water, so hope the marmox, tape, sealent and mapegum I've used on it will be sufficient.

B

b1gbrad

After my small disaster with bowing tiles I had to take down what I'd started

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

And this is what happened!
1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

So I've had to rebuild the wall with backer board

3-1.jpg

At this point I was a little dejected so started tiling the main shower wall:

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

The mosaics are really tricky. I found myself putting them on as best I could, waiting for them to go off a bit and repositioning them again.....and again. And then again. Practice makes perfect!

B

b1gbrad

1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

Up until this point I'd been using Ultraplan flexible and extended set. The tile shop I went to recommended it, and I know no different. But I was running low and they were shut (it was a Sunday). So I went to B&Q and bought some Mapei Flexible (not extended set) adhesive. WOW! What a difference. It's like I turned into a pro overnight (well, not really). I made progress twice as quickly as using the ultraplan stuff, it's a nicer substance to work with and it grabbed the tile initially amazingly well. I won't be using anything else again!

3-2.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to My First Wetroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

S
Hi there I'm a DIYer putting in an upstairs wetroom floor. I'm currently at the stage of floor...
Replies
Views
SimpleSimon
S
C
Hi all, I'm not much of a forum poster, and am also new here to this one. Additionally, in...
Replies
Views
GoneGuy
G
Hi guys. So, I've been asked to do a bathroom for a customer but I'm not sure the best way to...
Replies
Views
Big thanks to The Wetroom Store for sponsoring the forum and keeping it free to use for all the...
Replies
Views
GoneGuy
G
I'm a chippy, I fit a lot of kitchens and some bathrooms, inevitably I have done quite a bit of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.