• Thread starter Colour Republic
  • Start date
  • Replies 17
  • Views 284
  • Tags
    usa

Discuss My Hammer Punisment in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

I saw a job come up on My Hammer about a month or so ago, now I don't ever quote on My Hammer but it has a flaw in the system were you can narrow down the address to 10 or so houses, so I sometimes go a flyer these house so it's a bit more targeted

Anyway last week I did a small job by way of recommendation (well sent one of the guys to do it) it was papering a chimney breast, when I went to see the job I noticed the hall had just been decorated (very badly) and also needed to be finished off, I gave the customer the price but said as it was such a small job it would be more cost effective for him if he had any other bits around the house to do to make it a full day for a guy. He showed me the bits in the hall and I couldn't help but pick out the flaws. He told me it had been done by a Romanian guy who after a few days drafted in some help... which happened to be his Brother and also his mother:lol::lol: (has anybody else taken their mum to work?). At this point I asked him if he had ever used My Hammer.. turns out it was him and the Romanian is who he ended up with. The Romanian charged £215 to decorate the hall:yikes: I would have been closer to £1300 but then I would have enhanced the property not destroyed it!

We do the job and leave, he's very happy, life is good...

An few hours ago I get a text "Do you do electrics? we have no lights to the top floor" So I ring him up, it turns out he's had the Romanian back to re-do something he wasn't happy with, whilst he was there he got him to install a new light fitting. Now the sight of 3 plate wiring must have sent this guy into a spin as what he came up with is not on laughable but god damn dangerous, nothing was fixed in the terminals properly and was arcing:yikes:

Why do people do it to themselves, i was laughing the whole way through just shaking my head at him.

He then asks me to take a look at the bathroom as he's been without a basin for two weeks. Turns out the Romanian fitted the bathroom too:yikes: To be fair it looked quite good... when the lights didn't work:lol:

pictures to follow:lol::lol::lol:

C

Colour Republic

I charged him £20 to sort the light and basin out on the promise he never lets the guy step foot in the house again

This is the bathroom

enjoy...

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

D

david campbell

these muppets are ruining peoples lifes, when you look at my hammer etc and see how many of these "tradesmen" complete jobs with a list that ranges from grass cutting to roughcasting it's ridiculous how thy get away with it but some people do bring it on themselves by being so tight and not understanding proper tradesmen charge appropriate prices because they supply an outstanding and memorable finish to which they are suitably trained

M

mikethetile

I cancelled my membership of rated early this year as I wasnt winning any work from as I was undercut on every job, rated pestered me for months to rejoin. in the end they put me back on for free as they were desperatly short of decorators and the posted jobs werent being quoted on, they also gave me two free leads which I havent used as ive been too busy

went on there last week when I was rained off and realised you could work out the location of the job to within a few houses so like Rob I leafleted those houses, havent had a response yet

C

Colour Republic

these muppets are ruining peoples lifes, when you look at my hammer etc and see how many of these "tradesmen" complete jobs with a list that ranges from grass cutting to roughcasting it's ridiculous how thy get away with it but some people do bring it on themselves by being so tight and not understanding proper tradesmen charge appropriate prices because they supply an outstanding and memorable finish to which they are suitably trained

I'm not sure about this guy, I can't quite place him. He's a young guy maybe 25-28 not short of a few quid, I don't think it's about money, he's just very naive.

It's a nice house with nice things in it, for example he's just got a new pizza oven in the garden which cost £500, he's not scared of spending money. It seems he is just taken in by slick marketing from people like My Hammer. He thought the work done by this Romanian was ok, it's only when friends and family have commented how rough it was (how I got recommended) did he realise it wasn't right.

If I told him tonight that fixing the light was goning to cost £80 because of out or hours call out, he would have paid it. It strange because I don't come across customers like him because they seek tradesmen down different avenues, my customers all seem to be quite savy (of course, that's how they found me:lol:) It's just a shame that being naive in construction you will end up with chancers. I always think the trade gets a bad name because a minority but maybe there are many more chancers serving the industry then we realise:incazzato:

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colour Republic

I think Rob was laughing too much to hold the camera still:lol:

almost:lol:

I was reduced to using the iphone (damn the fake shutter noise is loud when you're trying to be covert!) and also might have had a a glass or 2 earlier not to mention the beer given to me when I got their. That's another point, I actually got taxi there and back so after costs I think I made £4:lol: As I say could have charged much more for the 10mins work and half an hour chat but I felt sorry for the guy. I'd like to say it's good PR but the guy might not realise I've done him a favour... c'est la vie

Reply to My Hammer Punisment in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
My Hammer Punisment
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.