Discuss My job in progress - kitchen splash back in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jgw1

Hi all,

Time for some pay back for all the advice.

Here is the DIY job I am doing. I have cleaned up the kitchen here ready to start. I have the gas man coming wed to connect the hob next week and I am in desperate need of a sink so the primary objective is to focus on getting at least the course around these done asap - this will make sure that I can get them fitted and not have to worry about being able to get the trowel in afterwards.

I took off the tiles last week and last night skimmed the wall to make it level. Then this morning sanded this down.

Will try and post as I go along...

The hob:

IMG_20110115_185447.jpg

The sink/corner:

IMG_20110115_185457.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jgw1

So just scored the backsplash and removed any bits and also put BAL sealant into the gap behind the worktop - these were quite big in places ~8mm so needed a fair old amount to make sure that the gap sealed.

This is just a back up as I'll use sealant to seal the worktop/tile join at the end. Now I am going to brush BAL bond SBR onto the splash back to seal the plasterboard prior to tiling (probably tomorrow).

IMG_20110115_200313.jpg

IMG_20110115_200305.jpg

J

jgw1

Thanks, Im a bit nervous about tiling onto paint/old plasterboard as everything else I've done has been onto ply or hardibacker -which I have installed.

Anyway first coat of primer is on. Made a couple of mistakes. I bought SBR but you apply APD undiluted. I would have thought ABR would have been better as the drying time would be shorter and I have to apply two coats quicker.

Also should have laid the paper down after the primer - the diluted primer soaks into the paper and then you have to get it up to make sure that the primer underneath isn't going to stick to the worktop or mark it.

Also I could see when I applied the primer where the silicon I used to fill the gap was waterproofing the wall. I'd smeared it in place with my finger. So I had to break out the stanley again and rough up the wall just above the silicone.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jgw1

And here we are. First tiles in. Quite a fe of the mosaics have little chips. I can hide the worst but the colour body of the tile is similar to the face so they won't really be a problem with this and the grout in place.

IMG_20110116_132427.jpg

IMG_20110116_132448.jpg .

I bought 2.5mm spacers as these matched the sheet spacing - these have been invaluable as in some places the sheet compressed as I moved it around into position. The spacers were greate at re-setting the moasics out right.

J

jgw1

I have just made my first cut to go around the socket. The nippers I bought - although rated fro procelain - aren't up to the job as the tiles are too thick.

Motorised tile cutter was OK but I had to use water. I have a problem now that the water seems to have set the glue on the webbing off and the two cut mosaics have come of the backing. It's all very sticky still.

What should I do? Not worry about it and carry on or not wet cut?

Reply to My job in progress - kitchen splash back in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
We had our kitchen tiled last week and we're not at all happy with the work. The tiles aren't...
Replies
Views
Posted a couple of times for advice a few weeks back, the outcome of which was to scrap my plan...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
This kitchen is not level as can be seen in the attached picture. From floorboard to kitchen...
Replies
Views
Sid2323
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
My job in progress - kitchen splash back
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.