Discuss My job in progress - kitchen splash back in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jgw1

Thanks,

Looks like I have been lucky as there is a tile centered on the hob.

I have finished for the day now - just got to clean up and remove the spacers. I've acheived what I wanted to -I can grout and silicone behind the hob prior to the gas bloke coming to connect it and get the sink in.

I have a slight worry about the gap between the tiles and the underneath of the units (see photo). This has moved up to around 7mm. It looks a bit unsightly but with a 2.5mm spacing and a similar gap at the top it would mean fitting a 2mm tile run eek.

I think that I'll leave it as it is and put up with filling the gap with grout. What do you guys think.

IMG_20110116_184644.jpg

IMG_20110116_184658.jpg

Here's the gap:

IMG_20110116_184712.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jgw1

Here is a breif update. I mixed up 2.5Kg of Mapei Ultracolour Chocolate grout and grouted around the hob and the sink. These mosaics really eat grout!

It seems to be OK and have pasted some pics below. I know it is a bit weird finishing all the tiling before this but this is the best way for me to get a hot meal and be able to wash up next week.

I have cleaned down the excess and lightly cleaned with a sponge but there is still a grout haze on the tiles. I think that if I keep cleaning and the sponge and going over it again and again I'll just keep leaching out grout.

However I am a bit worried about leaving the grout to develope a haze - will it be OK to clean down tomorrow night? Same for the worktop - that has a haze in places - does grout stain worktops?

Mapei grout mixed in bucket, 2.5Kg of powder took about 30min to apply so was about right for me:
IMG_20110117_200148.jpg

It's quite stiff when mixed, I left it for 2-3 min as per instructions. Oddly though it could go quite slack in the joints
IMG_20110117_200205.jpg

Close up of tiles after clean up:
IMG_20110117_211951.jpg

Tiles after cleaning:
IMG_20110117_212005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to My job in progress - kitchen splash back in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
We had our kitchen tiled last week and we're not at all happy with the work. The tiles aren't...
Replies
Views
Posted a couple of times for advice a few weeks back, the outcome of which was to scrap my plan...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
This kitchen is not level as can be seen in the attached picture. From floorboard to kitchen...
Replies
Views
Sid2323
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
My job in progress - kitchen splash back
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks