Discuss my reasons for dry laying a floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doug boardley

there seems to have been a bit of disussion lately about the merits (or lack of!) of laying out floor tiles prior to fixing. A few eyebrows,I feel, have been raised my way as I tend to favour dry laying prior to fixing.I'll try and clarify why I prefer to do it this way.
1.customer can visualise finished job better, and make ammendments if they wish, once tiles are stuck down this is,virtually, but not, impossible.
2. I don't like to think that I've had a day getting the metreage in and having the following day doing nothing but cuts, I find this very disheartening.
3. If you're having to use wet saw for cuts ie for stone, slate etc, it gives the tiles more time to dry out prior to fixing.
4. Any deviation in the substrate ie humps, hollows etc will be noticed prior to fixing allowing me space to tip/flatten trowel accordingly, especially crucial when doing brick bond. A substrate may look flat and even, but in my experience they very rarely are.(unless you're lucky enough to get isocrete/power screeded floors all the time)
5. Not having to walk over tiles to get your cuts in later,thus minimising debris that invariably gets into joints prior to grouting.

This is my opinion only and I'm certainly not trying to tell anybody to do it this way, it's just how I prefer to do it.
Hopefully it may lower a few eyebrows! Thanks for taking time to read and please feel free to comment without fear of offending,
Doug:thumbsup:

Reply to my reasons for dry laying a floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
my reasons for dry laying a floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.