Discuss My tiler is dabbing! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 1779

It should be done like this

tile_trowel.jpg

D

Don

Now that my blood has stopped boiling I've had a closer look. He has certainly just dabbed the few floors tiles I lifted., about 50% coverage on a 30x30). It looks like he has dabbed the lowest course (60x30 vertical) on the walls but combed AND dabbed tiles on the rest of the walls. The are a few significant voids (found tapping the tiles) on the walls.

There is still a wall to finish and I will ensure this is void free and that the tiles with voids are replaced. He assures me he will stand over the work and correct any faults, he has been at this a long time and his work is largely be referral. I'll update tomorrow.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You want to tell him the advantages of combing properly which include using less grout, having near zero failures, working quicker (in my opinion). The reason he probably does it if he's so keen on getting the job looking perfect may be down to the fact with four dobs on each corner of the tile you can adjust them to avoid lipping a bit easier than oozing adhesive out the back of a tile and then cleaning the tile joint up - but it shouldn't be done. Even paving slabs need a full bed IMO and I see loads of those just dabbed down and they've cracked with anything heavier than a bag of sugar left on them for too long.

I'm sure his intentions were right, we see so many that just don't give a damn and I don't think your tiler is one of those. But he does need to cut that out. If a tile falls off above a bath and a child in in the bath and something serious happens he'll never forgive himself and that's all I'd be thinking about when tiling the job.

S

Spud

broken link removed show your tiler this if the walls are out by more than 8mm then you need to straighten them out before tiling them under 8mm then they can be packed out with adhesive but you really do need to achieve 90% coverage ,imo the adhesive needs to be troweled on to the wall with the flat side of the trowel to key it in to the wall then combed with the notched side and the tiles need to be buttered up with adhesive you will need to rub the tiles on to the wall sliding them up and down this spreads the adhesive behind the tile to get the full coverage needed
some of the old tilers used to spot fix the adhesive be blobbing dots of adhesive on the backs of the tiles and rubbing them in to the wall and achieving the full coverage not so terrible on a sand and cement rendered wall but the trouble is most walls arent render and most tilers who do this dont ever achieve the full coverage needed this is why its so frowned upon my advice is to talk to the tiler and raise your concerns show him how hollow the tiles are and ask him to redo them, good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Don

Many thanks for the advice everyone, I raised my concerns with the tiler and he agreed to retile the few floor tiles that have been dabbed. I still have a few concerns re some of the wall tiles but he has offered me written guarantee and assures me he will attend to any problems should they arise. He has been faultless in terms of finish, courtesy, punctuality, and has put in a lot of time, so I am going to trust that he is confident in his work.

D

Deleted member 1779

concerns re some of the wall tiles but he has offered me written guarantee and assures me he will attend to any problems should they arise

If you need a GUARANTEED way to drill the wall tiles without breaking them then we supply PORSADRILL tile drills. If there is a hollow void behind a tile on a wall then it can break but our diamnd cores GRIND holes (they dont drill them) so you can safely drill into the wall and fit your rawl plug.

drill_chuck.jpg

Our diamond cores are coated with a ring of diamonds.

guideplate.jpg

And by grinding out holes you will guarantee not to split the tile.

tile_drill6.jpg

Fixtures being installed into tiles

kit2.jpg

Reply to My tiler is dabbing! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey there Firstly thanks in advance for any replies or comments. I've got a tiler in atm who...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
My tiler is dabbing!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.