UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Natural slate floor advice! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

parchy99

Hi,

Im tiling a floor for a friend who has bought some end of line natural slate tiles from a builders merchants. The tiles have been sat outside for some time and they are frankly filthy dirty. So would this be the right way of laying them;

1) Clean them down and let them dry thoroughly. Ive been told to let them dry for a couple of days to make sure the moisture is completely out?

2) Seal them before tiling. Can anybody recommend a decent sealer that doesn't cost the earth

3) Lay the tiles, then grout the tiles.

4) Re-seal the floor again once they are down.

Any advice would be appreciated, pitfalls etc. The tiles are 300 x 300 x 10 approx.

Cheers guys.

B

bugs183

Hiya.
Make sure the customer knows that these have not been supplied in good condition and that any staining on the tiles is not your responsibility.
Give them a good brush off with a still brush, wipe them clean and leave to dry.
Unless you are a messy worker there is no need to seal before tiling, just make sure the tiles are washed thoroughly as you work, you don't want any adhesive stuck to the tile face.
Seal them, either with LTP sealers or Fila, allow to dry then grout.
Allow overnight for the grout to dry then seal again as necessary.

D

DHTiling

Also if the tiles have algae etc on them from being outside so long, then you will need to neutralise that as well.

Other than that, a large bucket like a gorilla tub and scrub the tiles on both sides with clean water to remove soiling etc.

Then as above keep clean as you work whilst laying..

As for sealer, then choose from a natural finish or maybe a colour enhancer... this is personal choice..

B

bugs183

I take it these are multicoloured Chinese or African slates??
Slate is a sedimentary rock and is made of whatever drifted down and formed the layers at the time, so you can get alsorts of weird and wonderful colours and formations within it.
Pictures would be more helpful, but often you get a kinda of muddy residue in these as they are not as dense as the dark grey slates, but i am only guessing at the moment.

P

parchy99

I take it these are multicoloured Chinese or African slates??
Slate is a sedimentary rock and is made of whatever drifted down and formed the layers at the time, so you can get alsorts of weird and wonderful colours and formations within it.
Pictures would be more helpful, but often you get a kinda of muddy residue in these as they are not as dense as the dark grey slates, but i am only guessing at the moment.

IMAG0139.jpg IMAG0140.jpg

Hi,

these are the tiles in question. Any further advice would be gratefully received.

thanks

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Natural slate floor advice! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.