Discuss need advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

loz73

hello all have just removed all the wall tiles in my bathroom and am in the process of scraping the glue away.
some of the plaster has fallen away in various places the plaster is only about 2mm thick,do i need to replaster before i tile or can i prep and if yes how? and tile directly over the wall i am going to use a larger tile this is my first attempt at tiling and like anything looks so easy untill you start

many thanks

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
HI LOZ,you say your going to use a big tile for this job is it a porcelain tile your using?
i ask as there are weight guidelines for different substrates and if your saying the plaster is 2mm then its probably skim finish which is not suitable for porcelain large formats with adhesive weights in cluded

can you clarify what tiles they are ta and we can give you more info

D

diamondtiling

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Your walls sound as though they are not up to holding tiles of any weight. The size and weight of your tiles are best fixed to plasterboard or backer boards. You should also use a cement (bagged) adhesive as opposed to the DIY method of ready mixed materials. Getting the walls prepped at this stage will only help you to acheive the correct finish.
Pictures would help if you can post them.

Reply to need advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
need advice please
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.