Discuss Need help with a new house.. :-/ in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Hi guys n gals,

I'm after some advice from the more experienced tilers here, with regards to tiling on the lightweight metal stud walls they seem to be using nowadays!?!?! If it was just ceramic tiles going up i wouldn't be too concerned, as that was what was on there originally, but.... The customer wants Marble!
The whole job's turning into a nightmare... They have the thinnest silent flooring (at 600mm centres) i've seen to date, and walls you could blow over hehe!

So far i'm playing with the idea of screwing 9mm ply (at 150mm centres), then overboarding with backer boards for the walls. And putting in noggins in the floor with 22mm chipboard (existing), then overboarding with 12mm ply.

Any pointers much appreciated ;-)

Last edited:
D

DHTiling

These types of walls are poo but can with stand weights ok if they are boarded with Aqua panel type boards to hold the weight of heavy marble.. The cement panels will rigid them up more than say wedi type boards but extra noggings will need adding for support at joints etc..
Be careful when taking the original boards down as they will be screwed right into the frames of the wall and can twist them if you rive them about..

As for the floor, it will more than likely be on TGI joists and at 600mm centres.. so check for deflection issues.

S

Stewart

I did a job recently with metal studs, but I was lucky enough to be able to remove them and replace with in 4x2, then I put 2.4 x 0.6 sheets of 12mm marmox on top. For the floor with same type of joists, I used 12mm ply with 6mm no more ply.

56a16590-bb8d-9e0a.jpg
56a16590-bba8-8cca.jpg
56a16590-bbcd-7575.jpg
56a16590-bc22-5c6c.jpg

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Thanks guys, i feel a little better about the walls now.. :D

Dave, that sounds like the joists.. These ones look like 2"X2" at top and bottom, with 1/4" thick OSB in between. Very flimsy, and definite deflection. I was just gonna add 2X2 noggins screwed through existing 2X2 at top, in the vain hope that it would tie it all in better. Do you think there would still be too much deflection with the 12mm Ply? Anything you can suggest?

Stewart, with the floor, was that on top of existing, or straight onto joists?

Cheers
Scott

Reply to Need help with a new house.. :-/ in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

D
Hi All (well @Spacey really :) ) I'm about 90% through my bathroom and happy with the refit so...
Replies
Views
MarshallTile
M
R
hi there I'm not a tiler but my partner is (24 years in the trade). My partner has recently...
Replies
Views
R
Hi, I'm getting a new house built at the moment and need to get the bathroom, toilet and...
Replies
Views
rdmbfossa
R
B
I'm hoping for some professional advice on what to do with my new Limstone tiled floor - I'm at...
Replies
Views
P
Hey guys n gals, very helpful looking forum here, I'm not a tiler, but been a chippy for 25...
Replies
Views
A Robson
A

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Berkshire

Thread Information

Title
Need help with a new house.. :-/
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.