Discuss need help in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

geehutch

can anyone tell me why i cant get ditra 25 to stick to the adhesive. using granfix 1 part flexible fastset which schluter say is fine. granfix told me to prime floor with their acrylic bonding and mix adhesive with flexi additive. have tried this using different consistencies and every test patch i have done i can pull matting up with no effort. fleece is covered in adhesive when stuck down but just doesnt get a secure bond. fix has good hold of floor. have 90m of this stuff but feel like dumping and just sticking tiles directly to concrete floor, which has wet underfloor heating which has been off for 3 weeks now. any advice gratefully recieved. thanks. geehutch

G

geehutch

So, found today i have wrong additive. Should have bought Granflex plus, which is for adding to modified addy and will make make my C2 up to an S2. Question is Granflex plus will cost same or more than some S2 bags , and if i buy new stuff i will still have the granfix stuff for my wall tiling etc. So can anyone recomend fix that will stick down my Ditra and if it doesnt do that at least it will be the proper spec stuff to stick my 600 x 600 porcelain directly to my underfloor heated sand/cement screed. thanks and merry Christmas to all ????

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I fix Ditra or Durabase with rapid or slow flex. Then leave it overnight and tile on it the next day. If you try and tile on it straight away then you will have to walk on the mat before the adhesive has time to dry - you will break the bond and the mat will never stick to the substrate. Also, as you have already said, you will pull the mat away from the substrate if you have to lift a tile.

M

Mr Tiler

I'll be honest, I've never used ditra but I think your worrying too much, it's so easy to fabricate problems in your mind that don't and never will exists in tiling... I've learned this over the years.... You will give yourself an early grave man, it will be ok!
I think tiling feels so delicate when you first start... I was scared and am still cautious of stepping on rapid 'setted' tiles after a few hours. But there solid and there is no moving them unless you have done something wrong and to my satisfaction accept a bit of lippage I haven't made fundamental mistakes and the knowledge I have gained from the seasoned experts on here my tiling will always be at the least, safe. I do however feel sometimes they can be a bit overly cautious and critical... But that is what British standards are, its so you never have a problem for years to come. Merry Christmas!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to need help in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
Hi, great forum, so far has proved very useful but I couldn't find an answer to my specific...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am in the process of tiling with subways and just wanted some help with corners, if trim...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new to the forum, I'm a customer of a bodged tiling job done 2 years ago by a general...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB