Discuss Need some advise on tiling my bathroom walls please. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

blinkydamo

Hi guys,

New to the forum and the tiling world. Am currently ripping my bathroom to bits for a bit of a tarting up. I have the tiles off most of the wall now but with the tiles all of the rendering has come off. I am now back to breeze block, this breeze block is black and is on the supporting walls of my 1950's ex-council house. I would prefer not to get a plasterer in as I am trying to get this done within the next week and plaster boarding the wall would reduce the size of an already small room.

My question is whether or not I am able to tile straight onto the breeze block? If so what would I use to adhere the tiles to the breeze block and do I need to prime the breeze block with anything before hand, eg. pva type product.

I also have an alcove that has a shower installed into, this will be tiled on 3 sides. Will I need to do anything special with this area also.

Sorry for all the questions, doing this for the first time and don't want to get it wrong and pay the price later.

Cheers in advance,

Damian.

B

blinkydamo

Thought a few picture might help as I don't know if I am using the right names for the bricks and render. Wall 1.jpg Wall 2.jpg Cheers again,Damian.

B

blinkydamo

Hi all,

Cheers for the replies. No I have never tiled a bathroom and tools, will be getting them when I figure out what I need.

Could you explain the dot and dab for the plaster board please? also how much extra room is going to be taken up by plaster boarding as I am concerned about the thickness of the plaster board and adhesive and the tiles and adhesive. The room is very small, 2.4m x 1.4m.

Cheers again for the replies.

Damian.

B

blinkydamo

Yes mate the bath is under the window.

Would get a pro in and I understand where you are coming from but I have tackled most things myself and enjoy learning new things. I'm not one that rushes and bodges the job but I do enjoy a challenge. I will do this myself and would really like some advice from the pro's on what's the best approach.

I will follow the previous advise and plaster board the walls first and have seen aqua board from the shower area with I presume is the correct method for that.

I don't want anyone to think that I am not heeding there advise but I don't like getting a "man in" unless I know I am out of my depth, get that from my old man I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Damian

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I understand that Damo, i'm the same way. Some call me stubborn, i like to think i have a thirst for knowledge and enjoy getting my hands dirty.

If the bath is running the length of the room under the windows i don't see that dot and dabng 1/2" board over those walls will space a great deal. what's the wall with tiles on like? Are those tiles coming off?

Last edited:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Yes mate the bath is under the window.

Would get a pro in and I understand where you are coming from but I have tackled most things myself and enjoy learning new things. I'm not one that rushes and bodges the job but I do enjoy a challenge. I will do this myself and would really like some advice from the pro's on what's the best approach.

I will follow the previous advise and plaster board the walls first and have seen aqua board from the shower area with I presume is the correct method for that.

I don't want anyone to think that I am not heeding there advise but I don't like getting a "man in" unless I know I am out of my depth, get that from my old man I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Damian

Thats ok. Just been there myself many times and twisted I had sometimes.

B

blinkydamo

I understand that Damo, i'm the same way. Some call me stubborn, i like to think i have a thirst for knowledge and enjoy getting my hands dirty.

If the bath is running the length of the room under the windows i don't see that dot and dabng 1/2" board over those walls will space a great deal. what's the wall with tiles on like? Are those tiles coming off?

Yeah the tiles on the left wall are coming off and I think it's the only stud wall in the room so will be removing the plaster board and replacing, I also have one wall left on the other side of the room, but that one has the shower cubical so will be the last to come out, it's being stubborn as the bloke before me tiled over tiles.

When it comes to putting the plaster board on the walls do I need to prep the wall with anything like pva or will it be ok to apply the adhesive straight to the wall?

Also will moisture resistant plaster board from Travis Perkins or somewhere similar be adequate for bathrooms?

Sorry for all the questions but cheers for the replies so far.

Damian.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Need some advise on tiling my bathroom walls please. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB