Discuss Need to backerboard/plaster? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Djohnst

Hi All,

I previously posted a question about how to position my backer board but as this is my first attempt at tiling I wanted to make sure I actually need it and I'm not just making extra work for myself.

When I took the old tiles off the majority of the old plaster came off with them leaving me with a rough wall surface (not sure what the material is) which sits on top of breeze blocks. Whilst it's not a surface you'd ever leave exposed or paint, I'm wondering if it's flat enough to tile onto?

There are a couple of deeper areas (15mm) where the substrate (whatever it is) has fallen away with the old tiles so presumably these will need filling at a minimum to level it out?

I have a photo which will help it make more sense but can't upload it, presumably because I'm a new member. If I need to spend money to board it or have it plastered then so be it but wanted to check first.

Thanks

David

D

Djohnst

What type of tiles are you going to use ( thickness/ weight) and is the remainder of the plaster in good shape and well adhered to the wall.?

Tiles are going to be ceramic, likely 150mmx150mm but unsure on the weight yet. A picture would probably show clearly so will try and sneak the link in below somehow.

If you manage to see the picture you'll see that the top half of the wall wasn't tiled and the plaster in in good order, the bottom half which was tiled is now back to the substrate and still has some adhesive left on it which comes off easily, and there are a couple of deeper chunks missing from the lower section of approx. 15mm.

Picture: goo.gl [forward slash] AQpiIz

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Need to backerboard/plaster? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time I’m posting 👋🏽 I’m after some advice please. Is this area going to need...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
D
Budget renovation as I just bought the flat. Cavity brick walls, 1 external. Removed old tiles...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, Thank you for allowing me to join the forum. I'm replacing the toilet hand basin...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB