UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Never having laid a tile... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all,

As the title implies, I've never done this before! I've absorbed some useful advice from this forum - thankyou - I reckon I should ask specific questions now because my head is spinning!

1. I've taken the tiles off my bathroom wall (1969 bungalow) and now there's the usual bits of plaster missing and, in places, chunks of render too. The render is mostly well stuck on but friable - either with age or maybe because it was something other than cement render (browning?). I know I'd need to seal it before skimming with plaster but don't know what to do with the holes which can be almost down to the block wall behind and, therefore, getting on for an inch deep. Can I fill them with sand/cement or would an ordinary filler do the job before skimming?

2. My wife and I are agreed (!) we want brick style white tiles (not chamfered metro - just simple, plain 3"x6") but I don't know how to cover the exposed edges of the tiles without using those plastic edging strips. I've discovered it's still possible to get re and rex tiles in the square format but haven't seen any in the oblong format such as the 3x6 I want to use. If I can't get re and rex tiles I can only think of using a wooden batten to cover the edges. I think it would look better than plastic strip. Does anyone know of a supplier of 3x6 re and rex tiles?

3. We want to keep the bathroom simple but for possibly a black 'pencil' strip tile of decoration. Unfortunately, the ones I've seen advertised are thicker (8mm) than the 5mm depth of tile I'm likely to use. Am I likely to find a black strip tile the same thickness as the white tiles?

Sorry to bombard you with my first post!

Richard

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Never having laid a tile... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I have 45m2 of 1.2 x 1.2 Mirage 9mm floor tiles to lay. Never done this size before. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’ve just crossed over from the plumbers forum for some tiling advice as I’m in the process...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.